Orange Amplification...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lemonadeisgood, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Whether or not I would go for the used Orange would depend greatly on the style of music played. They may be better "rock/blues" amps than "jazz/folk" amps.

Not perfect for every occasion, but if it fits the sound in you head, go for it.

Should you be interested; Green/Matamp build amps in the style of Mat Mathias, designer of the early Orange Amps. Definitely not the same company as Orange. Quite a bit better build quality. Quite a bit more money!!!

Green/Matamp and Orange (along with Sunn) rigs are very, very coveted by the stoner/doom/butt rock bands. Everything old is new again.

Check out the "stonerrock.com" online radio station to hear some of these beasts in action.

Some links:

http://www.matamp.com

http://www.greenamps.com

http://www.stonerrock.com

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeepers! I figured if Mel Brooks (a known Jew) can make fun of Hitler, it'd be OK for me, a known heathen. Or maybe they're taking offense to my making fun of Orange. WHAT ... ever.

3. RicMeister

RicMeister Guest

Nov 25, 2001
    Munji-- Someone accused you of being a Nazi, for godssake! They'll take offense at ANYTHING in here!:rolleyes:

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Achtung! Ich bin ein richtige Mann!

5. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Roughly translated to...
    "Note! I am a correct man!"

Nice munji...i think people take offense to things too easily. If it makes you feel any better munji, I am in the process of getting a (used) WT-500 for my rig. But I have a question, how come they say "600" in the little box on the back of the amp that labels the wattage?

Thanks
    Graham

6. Ari Schor

Ari Schor

Mar 3, 2000
    Montreal
    I believe that it is the maximum power it can handle from an electrical output.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Well there's a reason he's Mel Brooks and you're not. Believe me, I've flung my share of Hitler jokes, but a lot of it has to do with timing. So, don't flatter yourself, you didn't offend that much, just killed the mood.

Besides, what's more disturbing: Someone getting offended at a Hitler pun or getting their panties in a twist because someone slagged their brand of amp?

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Second warning...

Munji made a joke. Whether you thought it was in good or bad taste, it was a throwaway comment, nothing more.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Ozarks
    ahhhhh the winds of change are blowin'
    Turn the page on the calender.
    There's a new flavor of the month.
    Get your used Eden gear at bassgear.com
    :D

10. I think both brands are nice. This thread died a long long time ago, but I feel compelled to note that I think both brands are great, although now I am trying to snoop around for an orange or laney head. But to defend Eden, I used a Ric 4003 and a WT-800 in the studio and it was butter. Absolute butter.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Duuude.. It's 4 years old!

12. These amps are two totally different animals. As we all know, a British tube amp has it's own character, and to some, it is THE tone that you just can't get or emulate in one of these newer 'gizmos and gadgets' amps. Both are great in their own right. As always, it all boils down to what sounds good to YOU.

13. JBalloonist

JBalloonist

Apr 16, 2005
    Franklin, OH
    So? I enjoyed reading it...I don't know much about either of these manufacturers...it was educational, even at four years old.

14. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    Orange amps were NEVER made by Gibson. Gibson just distributed them in the US. I consulted for Gibson specifically on the Orange project when they were distributing them in the mid '90's and I can tell you they were EXACT copies of the original amps. They even had the Partridge transformers, which is were the tone comes from.

15. Oh. My. God. You're not only choosing Orange over Eden, you're paying an EXTRA $500!!!!

I'm lining up with Munji on this one....

But the thing is, you have your own idea of what a great tone is, so if the Orange does it for you and the Eden doesn't, you gotta go with the Orange, even with the extra $500.

Just Please..... Please..... Pleeeeeaaaase tell me you're not playing a Wish bass too..... :D

Randy

16. Holy $#!+, where did you dig this up.??

17. First of all, it's paradigm, not paradime...secondly, there is a reason people opt for Orange amps over Eden. I personally would do the same. It's a matter of personal opinion. I've played that same head, and most Eden heads that a music store can stock, and a handmade tube amp in the UK gives me way closer to the sound i've always wanted than any Eden I've ever played. If you prefer Eden amps, that's excellent, they're a fine line of amplification. Stop being so closed minded about other peoples' opinions...

18. Alright, I disagree with his opinion of the Orange and Eden comparison, but man, learn to take a joke, honestly...it's called shock humor, it's funny.

19. carrythatweight: You do realize you are fighting a battle from December 2001 right?

just report the offensive posts and the friendly amp mods will swing by and hopefully clean up the mess ;)

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Wow. OK, I know it's 4 years later, but thanks to all you guys that have my back. But just to freshen things up a little bit ...

HITLER! HITLER! HITLER!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.