1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orange Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IamGroot, Feb 11, 2019.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    On an upcoming rehearsal (recording session and performance for singer/ songwriter), I am being provided with a "'64 Orange with 1 18 & 2 10s. Great tone".

Anybody have any idea what amplifier I will be looking at?

2. TLBH

TLBH

Dec 4, 2017
    Land Of Oz
    IamGroot likes this.
  3. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
  4. You're a lucky man.

5. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    One of those mixed driver cabs wouldn't be very ideal for recording with a valve amp. What drivers would you be micing, and valve amps don't get on great with weird impedances.

6. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I don't have any further details. Sorry. I am under the impression he used this rig on his earlier CDs.

Any idea how this amp would sound at low volume?

Passive Jazz vs active Warwick Thumb? I have mever used active on a tube amp.

7. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    No idea what sound you are going for. Those amps sound fine, they are not designed for loads of distortion, the needing to be really loud to be good things kinda comes from Marshalls that need to be distorting to cover up how bad they sound when they aren't.

8. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I think the artist would like a Tommy Shannon sound. I am thinking a Fender Jazz with flats, both pups wide open. Pluck middle to bridge.

9. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Man, I'd kill to play through that amp. Use a passive bass, and you'll get a great warm vintage sound .

10. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The FAC and the presence are the secret to the versatility of that amp. Also strong in the mids, so the effect of backing off one or other pickup slightly might show up quite a noticeable difference.

IamGroot likes this.
  11. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Cool.
    I usually spend less than 30 seconds dialing in what I think is the right sound and then check with the powers to be that they are happy with the sound after a warm up number. Once i establish the sound, I rarely touch the controls again and get my tone through my fingers.

Some amps/setups make playing music a spirtual experience. Others just honk. I practice on a p.o.s. so everywhere I play is an upgrade that inspires me.

vvvmmm, mikewalker and Spidey2112 like this.
  12. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thanks for the heads up. I was planning some roll off of the neck pup.

FYI, played though somebody elses rig and he thought I had active electronics. Thats how resonant this MIM jazz is.

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Lol!

HolmeBass likes this.
  14. TLBH

TLBH

Dec 4, 2017
    Land Of Oz
    orange-matamp-1030x465.
    If you're gonna play your J-Bass and if this is indeed the amp you see when you walk in, try this:
    Turn Volume down, turn Bass and Treble up to 12:00/High Noon.
    The "Depth" and "Drive", where set in this photo, are almost always (like 90% of the time) where I end up setting them (with P's and J's alike).

With a J-Bass, you might find you like the Depth all the way left and maybe the "Drive" at 2 or 3 right.

The "Boost" is dependent on a few factors;
    -your style of playing (fingers vs. pick)
    -how you like setting your Treble
    and how loud you set the Volume.
    You'll find that time and overall volume is where you'll end up setting "Boost".
    Hope that'll help you seem like a "wise-ned Ol'Goat"

IamGroot likes this.
  15. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Thanks, looks like i may need to play with this a bit. I use the college solid state Orange amp for jazz class. Its nothing special. I have high hopes for this tube amp as i will only be bringing two basses. I am going to bring a Mark Bass ss head just in case..

16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Per this page, Orange came into existence in 1968. Legendary Orange: The Story Behind The First Orange Matamp – Orange Amps

I don't claim everything on that page is factual, but a 1964 Orange doesn't sound correct. 1974 would be a pics and text era OR80, OR100, or OR120. From what I have read OR100 and OR120 are the same amp, and the different model designations where used in some countries to minimize import taxes.

Some early Orange amps were very similar to later Matamp GTs. I own a GT120 and it is fabulous for overdriven tones. I believe the preamp is very low gain, so all the drive is from the output section.

The early Orange amps had a variable HPF filter labeled "Depth" or "F.A.C." and also a variable gain switch with an LPF labeled "Drive". Varying the Depth/F.A.C. control changes the frequency of the HPF. The Drive control has four settings. Basically choose high or low gain, with or without the LPF.

Depending upon the year and model, the Depth/F.A.C. and Drive were put in different places in the circuit, and eventually the Drive control was eliminated. There were also later versions with a Master Volume and higher gain preamp with an OD model designation.

You might enjoy this page: The Orange Amp Field Guide

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    IamGroot likes this.
  17. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Yes, 64 is definitively wrong. And this is driving a lot of speakers. I am thinking its going to be a decade older and 200 watts.

Wasnex likes this.
  18. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Modern Orange are barely related to these.