Orange Amps and Cabs- Try 2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Feb 16, 2006.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Well, since the last Orange thread got closed down to some rudeness and lack of respect, I wanted to try to start up another. Please guys, I'm just starting this thread to find out some more info about Orange products, not to get into fights and such about which amp companies suck and which don't

Anyways...I know j-raj works for Orange so maybe he (or anyone who knows) could help me out...
    How much do Orange cabs run usually? Specifically the 115?
    I'm really interested in their products and have been wanting a nice all tube 215 rig for a while, so I was thinking that a pair of Orange 115s would nicely compliment my 400+. What do you think?

For any of you guys who have actually played Orange gear and are going to give me a real, respectful answer, what are your thoughts? Pros/cons, any issues I should know about?

p.s. although I've never been there, I hear that Rock City Guitars in cambrige (ten-fifteen minutes from my house) carries lots of orange guitar gear, but does anyone know if they have any bass stuff in stock?
  2. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I have played the head and it sounded really good. (I am going to get a new head and it's one of my contenders) While I have never played the cabs I think that would make for a killer rig when paired with your Mesa 400+!

Rock On!
    :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:
  3. blackstingray

Feb 13, 2006
    in my last post in the crazy forum i posted what the costs were, i guess you missed it. but here we go, these are the prices i got it for, not including tax.
    my ad200- 1999.99
    my obc410- 761.99
    my obc115- 549.99
    hopefully that helps!
  4. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah, I guess I did miss that, blackstingray. I can see why though...that was an amusing, yet very unproductive thread.

Thanks so much.

5. Hello
    Do not know, if it is relevant for you, but I play on old OR120 head, paired with Ampeq 4x10 classics in oldfashioned bluesrock band and I really like it. It has the right sound for that type music, kinda dirty, but with plenty of character, sits in the band perfectly. I would say it is exact opposite to the Bassman 135 I used to have, which head also great sound, but clean and mid scooped. Orange is more raw and meaty if this makes a sense for you. The OR120 is also a bit louder a could be found for a good price here in Europe.
    Do not know anything about the new stuff though.
  6. I don't think that j-raj is allowed to tell you prices publicly on the forum. Apparently it's "spam" :rollno:
  7. Sorry I can't say I've played one but have had them modeled for me. I always feel like it's 1975 when someone plays through them. Dead Meadow even specifically thanks orange amplifiers on their albums and when I listen to them I honestly can't tell that they're a post 2000 band. It can be pretty trippy stuff from my limited experience.
  8. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    so im sorry this might have been said in the other thread before it go shut down. But can this head get just a super clean full round tone to it?? and can it also get a nice gritty sound by cranking the gain??
  9. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Oh oops...sorry about that guys.

Yeah well my questions have been answered for the most part. Thank you!

Let's keep this thread going though; anyone with any questions about Orange, ask em here! (it's a shame the other was shut down)

Thanks again,
  10. macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    lookjojoisplaid >>

Have you ever seen/heard The Magic Numbers?
    That sound is pure orange.. It can't get any more orange and round like that.. all orange cab and mk3 head..

About the gritty tones.. I really have no idea about the mk3, but the mk1 is actually quite clean all the far as I can hear..

I'm probably to blame about the other thread beein shut down though..sry bout that but seriousely.. A healty orange does not sound fizzy, frizzy or weak.. it's quite the opposite.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, funny this thread came up, cause while at my local fav haunt, i saw the 200 watt behemoth.

and yes, tomorrow, i'm going w/ my Sad and Epifani in tow. :cool:
  12. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Im more interested in the AD200B Can that one stay round and super clean? and can i crank the gain and get a nice gritty p-bass tone??
  13. macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    ad200 were built in 2 versions in the customshop.. the mk1 and 2 as reffered to above.. those are ptp with 2 preamptubes. the mk3 (which are available in the shops) are pcb and has 3 preamptubes=more gain..

I'm only talking ad200B's not any other models since there aren't any (besides old the superbass and ad140B)
  14. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    I live around the corner from Rock City Guitars. My guitar player bought his Orange cab from them. They rarely have any Orange stuff in stock at the store but if you'd like I can walk by on my way to work tomorrow and check for you. Save you the phone call (plus I love the store... nicest dorkiest dudes ever!).
  15. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Apology accepted... but you're still 'Sir Icon' in my book, 'cuz that Orange head of yours sittin' on top of that Ampeg refrigerator is sheer classic... ;)
  16. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Wow, that'd be awesome if you could do that. I probaly will have to wait a bit before I can afford a cab, but if I was interested in buying an Orange could they order one for me? I would definitely need someway of trying them out first, though...

17. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Does anyone have a good pic of the back of the AD200B?
  18. I was at Rock City Guitars today and I did not see any orange amps at all . But they do have a bunch of cool stuff. And they are absolutely the best. The Nicest guys I have dealt with so far and that is a few.:cool:
  19. yea i started the last orange thread and although it was a good read, not really info offered. this thread is already alot better.

i've really been looking into getting an ad200b and so far all i've heard was good. $1700-2000 is kinda expensive but if its got that tone i love i wouldnt hesitate to drop it.

and i'm super excited that the 4x10 cab is only about $800.

Does anyone know how many watts the cabs can handle being that the heads are only 200 watts?

thanks for all the info in "try 2"
  20. wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    Seeing Dead Meadow live is like an Orange exlopsion on stage... if only Orange made drums, they'd be set...