Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange amps and heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anybody on here have the orange bass cabs, there site has been saying coming soon for far too long now.

i know a few people on here had the ad200b and some probibly still do but i havent seen anyone with the cabs?

any info on them would be great.

i would get ride of my mesa stuff in a second for some orange stuff. you think they cost an arm and leg like all oranges other stuff?

p.s. you think the ad200b is worth the 2000ish price range?

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The guitar store by me is an Orange dealer and has both the guitar amps and the AD200 (for $1700 new even!) but I haven't ever seen an Orange bass cab there. humbuckermusic.com doesn't have them either.

Doesn't someone on here work for Orange? Is there an official word on this?

As far as whether they're worth it.. I make it a general rule to never play anything that expensive. I know I'll just end up wanting it. :)

3. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Orange cabs are nuts! I played an orange 4x10/1x15 stack with an SVT on top and it was almost a religious experience. I have nothing bad to say about them.

I haven't played the AD200 though, but I've heard it, and for $1700, it might even be worth it, it has a heck of a dirty sound to it.

4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I played through an AD200B and one of their 410 cabs at a store once. My next head IS going to be the AD200B. I played it through a variety of cabs; but none compared to the Orange 410.

Sounded so good you'd think they were made for each other :D

Really tight, thick low end. Sounded like an Ampeg SVT/810 rig, but better, cleaner (I didn't use a lot of gain though...)-and through only a 410.

5. Was looking at the 200 bass head as well. But for the $2300 Cdn price tag, I have to pass.

6. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Mark, did you see this head for sale somewhere in Canada?

7. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    the ad200 is worth every penny..
    and the only reason my ad200 customshop mk1 doesn't have an orange cab below is that orange only made 17 8x10s for bass and they're hard to find..:crying:
    But i will be ordering a 8x10 or possibly an 8x12 from orange sometime in the future.. yes I know I'm a dork but i LOVE big cabs.. and orange has an enormous big sound.. like an svt but FAR better.

[​IMG]

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hehe, the first 8x12 cab since the original Marshall 8x12, in which only 6 were ever made. Two for the Faces, and 4 for The Who. Rawk. :bassist:

9. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    are you kiddin? I saw one of those marshall 8x12's in a store.. how rare is that then!!

the reason is i love the 12"s and i love the format of the 8x10.
    A 6x12 would be similar in size but not able to run at 4 ohms so.. 8x12...tadaaaa

btw the guys at electric amps actually makes a 6x15..i think that's even more crazy..

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yeah, I love 12s, I just wish most 12" bass cabs didn't have to be so damned expensive! :spit::bawl:

P.S. Once i'm rich & famous, imma have Jorg build me four custom 4x12s, two with guitar speakers for my mids & highs. that'll be awesome, dontcha think? :bassist:

11. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    As a rule, we Americans do not grant titles to individuals... kinda goes back to that English guy... King George III, but you, sir, by order of myself, a proud citizen of the USA, shall be bequeathed the title of 'Icon' for your love of BIG CABINETS and Florida citrus Orange heads... :cool:

...I've seen the pictured posts of your rig in other threads, and I remain duly impressed... :)

12. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    (applause)
    (thank you speach) thank you, thank you... It's such an honor..
    I would like to thank all those who contributed to this big success! You know who you are.. and Also my mom and dad for being so supportive..
    and also you, the fans who makes me continue doing this day in and day out!
    peace!

(applause)

13. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    How loud is the AD200? Does it have enough clean headroom to play against half stacks or is it's forte dishing creamy dirt? I like a little dirt in my tone, but it would be nice to have the option of playing clean too.

14. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I've heard the ad200 at a local shop and it is indeed awesome. Haven't heard the cabs though. I wish I had the money or calzones to use an Orange setup but I'm satisfied with my Mesa 400+ and berg nv425

15. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    so.. change the tubes in that mesa 4 times and that's pretty much what an ad200 will cost.. =P

It has enough headroom for me anyway.. but still the mk1&2 have only 2 preamptubes = less dirt.. so the new ones will indeed hade enough dirt and headroom no matter what..

I play at roughly 70% on both master and gain, and it keeps me up well with my bandmates.. and it is very clean..

16. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    How is the Orange for styles other than Rock? Can you slap through it?

Thanks.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That would be j-raj

I'll PM him this link

18. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    you sure can slap on it, turn the gain up and the sound gets freaking great.. and tight.. not hitechy though...

19. blackstingray

blackstingray

Feb 13, 2006
    Hey guys, I'm new here. Let's try this. I have an Ampeg V4BH-AV with NOS Phillips tubes, an AD200, and set of orange cabs-- the 410 and the 115. The Orange head sounds amazing. It is pretty clean considering its all tubes (3 o clock on the orange is the same as 11 o clock on the 'peg, even though the V4BH-AV has half the wattage). Both heads sound great through the cabs, and the cabs do not rattle at all. This is because they have isolation rails under them, which separate them from the stage, so you basically hear lots and lots of cab. To answer the original question the cabs arent that expensive. My whole orange stack was 3300, and worth every penny.

20. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    My question is if the orange head can get 70's svt dirty?

Someone suggested a 70's svt to me, but if I do go all tube, the orange does sound smooth, but I didn't get a chance to get dirt out of it in the music store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.