Orange Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rick Storino, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Rick Storino

Rick Storino

Aug 4, 2019
    need opinion on Orange Crush Bass 50. Is it worth the$$$? compared to Fender or Ampeg

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I haven't liked any of the Orange equipment I've played through but that's just me. Play it and let us know what works for you.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Alright, based solely on features found on websites:
    • Orange Crush Bass 50 - 50w, particle board construction.
    • Ampeg BA112 - 75w, plywood construction, kickback configuration, more tone shaping options.
    • Fender Rumble 100 - 100w, plywood construction, more tone shaping options.
    All 3 models are 12" loaded and do not allow the connection of an extension cab.
    All 3 have DI out, Aux In and a headphone socket. The BA112 does not have effects send/return like the other two, if that matters to you.
    All 3 are $299 at Sweetwater.

For me, particle board is a non-starter. More watts for the same price is good. It all comes down to personal preference after that.

4. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 on the particle board.

I know the “box” has a lot to do with it. Shame their box is made of such heavy wood. A Baltic birch/alnico lightweight might put them back to my brands I would consider list.

I know it’s a little too early in the thread to introduce another non-requested option, but GK makes some pretty nice stuff...

Looky there, went (slightly) OT and didn’t directly contribute to the OPs question, all in one post!

Seriously tho - check out that little GK 12” combo. It’s a pretty good bang for the buck.

kentiki and S-Bigbottom like this.
  5. MonsterRain

MonsterRain

May 26, 2017
    I own both the Crush Bass 50 and the Rumble 40 and did own an Ampeg BA-110.

I loved all three for different reasons but the Orange and Fender won out.

For overall bang for buck it’s the Rumble ALL the way. In fact pick one up used, do the @AstroSonic upgrades and you’ve got something that punches well above it’s class as well as taking a pound or so off of the already light weight.

I’ve completed the upgrades and it is night and day.

With that said I still love the Orange. Blend/Gain is fantastic and adds such grit and the 12” speaker has plenty of lows along with decent articulation. Volume is as would be expected but I can tell you the Crush Bass 100 is not worth the leap in price.

I did try the 100 out and could not justify it whatsoever.

If you are looking for the best of the above for the least price you’re best to go Rumble 40 stock (fine as is) or used and upgrade it. Super light. Loud. Adequate tone shaping but really this is the area in which the Orange beats it for me.

More of everything you’d want is probably the Rumble but there is something special about the Orange sound and if you do like it?

I completely recommend the Crush Bass 50.

So it is worth it IF you love that sound but if it really doesn’t speak to you that strongly then I’d say I couldn’t justify the premium price for what still is a low wattage single speaker combo weighing some 30 odd pounds.

This may have not helped at all but any specific questions you have which I could attempt to answer and I would do so.

Take care.

AstroSonic likes this.
  6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    played the orange combos in store, looking to buy, and walked away glad I didn't order online. they didn't have the sound. as far as (affordable) combo's, my ranking would be.....

1. GK MB
    2. Fender Rumble
    3. TC Electronic BG
    4. many others

7. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Orange is good practice amp. Also like ampeg. Fender too. Gk is great.

8. Dragonback13

Dragonback13

Dec 23, 2014
    New Mexico
    Distributor for Homeopathic HGH gel
    I found a great deal on a used in brand new condition Orange Crush Bass 50 a couple of days ago. I have been blown away by the tones that i am able to dial into it. Combined with my StingRay Stealth it can get a super gritty tone with a deep growl. I am sold on this little guy.

9. Rick Storino

Rick Storino

Aug 4, 2019
    Basic amp for practice needs ok with Orange 50. I had Fender BA-110 also for practice but found the Orange a bit more growlfrom the BEAST. Like it a lot more than BA 110

10. Rick Storino

Rick Storino

Aug 4, 2019
    To All;;;; GK MB? any specs?

11. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    The Orange Crush guitar amps were actually very nice sounding for cheap practice amps, particularly when they were still made in Korea. But I don’t know that I’d go for that kind of design and build for bass.

12. Rick Storino

Rick Storino

Aug 4, 2019

13. Rick Storino

Rick Storino

Aug 4, 2019
    Thanks for the reply

MonsterRain likes this.
  14. MonsterRain

MonsterRain

May 26, 2017
    You’re welcome. If it was even of any value at all I’m pleased. Good luck!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021