Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orange Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Feb 27, 2005.

1. hi..
    anybody here, who have experience with the power and tone of the british orange heads/cabs???
    I think they`re looking great, but I`m asking if they sound that great.
    As far as i know there are only a head, all-tube, 200 w
    and a speaker cabinet, 4 X 10"

greets

2. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I've never used/heard the bass amps, but if they're anything like the guitar amps then they're pretty darn good. I know the former bassist of mewithoutYou used the Orange head with an Ampeg cab some.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    very 70's....

I'm not sure that they will sound so darn good... I heard some bands with bassists using orange amps and they weren't really like how a tube amp should sound.
    However, I've not heard the new ones...
    Your best bet is to go find one to try and see for yourself. Tone is subjective - only you know what sounds good to your ears.

4. dunharrow

dunharrow

Feb 22, 2005
    Minneapolis MN
    Check out www.matamp.com. Orange was bought from these guys. You can get the same amp in pretty much any color you want except orange. But they are the original manufacturers. They are expensive, but real good.

5. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    oh how he will be missed.
    but as for orange, there is a review of them in a bass magazine at barnes and nobles to which i forget the exact name. I think it had claypool on the cover. They said it was kind of a one trick pony, so make sure its your deal. They're really expensive though.

6. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I bought my 120 in the UK (all tube thingey) for 5 punds (c. $10.00) with no tubes. I was a guitarist and the bass player, Guy Wood, decided to 'mount' his stack mid - song and play on top ....until it took the inevitable tumble. I bought the amp and a cab and it WORKED with set of new tubes!

Sold it for $5.00 and it held open the door of my friend;s garden shed for 8 years until his son decided that bass was for him and it got cranked inot service once more...90's

Great basic tube sound but very 'one trickish' -loud!

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...heard 'em, played 'em, don't like 'em...

~S~

8. basshag

basshag

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I had one of the newer AD200's, and I really liked it. I did sell it because it didn't have as much high end bite as my V-4B, but it had a great tone, and wasn't very heavy for an all-tube head. I would highly recommend the AD200 if you're looking for a traditional tube tone. Quite loud, and the Gain knob really fattens up the sound in a focussed way.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Good enough for Black Sabbath....

10. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Theres a review of the new Orange gear in the latest Bass Guitar magazine over here ;) . Like Ashdown however they've moved production to China unfortunatley :meh: . Another thing i noticed is that they don't have the groovey symbol control thingys like there used to be on the old gear. :crying:

11. I'm sorry cos this is off topic but the Ashdown ABM range are still made in the UK by Mark Goodey- the man behind Trace Elliott before he sold it to Gibson. However you are right in that the MAG range are now made overseas. OK, back to Orange amps...

12. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Sorry yeah should have said that!

Cheers!

13. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Not for many years. Iommi=Laney. Geezer=Ampeg.

Slug

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Ya, but all the good stuff was with orange...

(paranoid, children of the grave, war pigs, etc... )

15. I'd be very interested in hearing some more details shared in that article. When you get a chance, do you think you could post some of them? Thanks :)

16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I played through an Orange tube guitar head/cabinet in the studio couple of years ago...it was an awesome distorted tone. I really wish I could find that tone again.

Never tried their bass amps...and the guitar amp I played through was pretty old.

17. Was it? Or are you referring to the performance footage from the Beat Club TV show? I think they had a standard backline of Orange amps- because everybody from Mountain, to Johnny Winter to Chuck Berry to War all used Orange amps on that show.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I remember reading somewhere that Geezer used orange till about 74... in studio, atleast. Then he got the 'pegs cause they held up better on tour.

19. I'm just askin' because for years I thought that Leslie West used Orange, just based on the only live footage I'd seen of them "back in the day."

20. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    "bass guitar- In the footage from the 1970 beat club show in Germany, you and Tony are playing trhough Orange amps.
    Geezer- For that gig, we had to play with whatever was in the studio. We literally had to fly over from England with no equipment but our guitars and plug into whatever they gave us. Every badn that did Beat Club had to play through those amps. It's amazing the number of bands now that think we used to use Orange amps- and we hated them."