1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by double-muff, Jun 20, 2007.

1. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    Does anyone here have one?
    if so please post a pic.

But my question is, are they worth every penny? what are the pro's and con's of the orange bass amp?
    :help:

2. Ive never played the bass amp (AD200) much, but have used the 30 watt guitar amp they have, and it sweeeeeeeeeet

3. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    Well, by the end of the year i'll have two, yes two! Orange 4X10s.

Im so going to own!!
    Pretty swish amps IMO.

4. Going back to the 70s I've used three Orange amps, 1970s 120 watt, 1990s 120 watt and a 2005 AD200.
    The AD 200 was most dissapointing as it was basicly a one trick pony albeit very powerful.
    Unless you have a decent active Bass the pre-amp in the AD 200 is very limited and very expensive for what you get.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Orange makes an amp that is recommended for both guitar and bass. I don't know which one but was a 100 or 200W head.

Sounded amazing but was about $4000 with two 4x12s.:rollno:

6. The reason its that expensive is so a 200 watt all valve guitar stack isnt easy to get!

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Doom knows about 'em.
    Lemme get him....if I can...
    He was right about the bass in my avatar...

8. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    used my guitar players orange back in the 70's with an 8 x 10 and also with a 2 x 15

they are a good amp but not that distinctive
    that u could tell the difference between an marshall or a hiwatt
    but not that high powered to pull me away from an svt at the time

the coolest thing is
    they are orange

but u could get all kinds of custom colored tolex so nbd

9. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Bang for the buck, I think they are overrated. Just my opinion as a non-owner.

10. doombass

doombass

Jun 22, 2007
    Hi' everyone! My friend Johnny invited me here (never got around to hang here though I've seen a lot of references). About the Orange AD 200B. To begin with you must know what you're looking for. It's like many wants the all tube amp. Is it really? To me a good all tube amp delivers the warmth when played clean but I'm mostly looking for the sweet spot where you overdrive it when hitting hard using the dynamics all the way. That's the most of the point to me. Also I mostly play blues, blues rock, rock, hard rock etc. No clean Jazz.

I have a Mesa Boogie Buster 200W (bought it recently because I play in yet another band and another rehearsal place) and a Marshall JCM 800 100W (now retired) just so you'll know what I'm comparing to (I've also tried Ampeg SVT and V4BH, Marshall Superbass and Fender Bassman).

The Orange head is by far the best sounding amp I've ever played. That is you'll have a clean sounding yet warm wooly sound. I know, it's a contradiction but it is not as wooly as a
    Fender Bassman but not as in your face sounding a bit more harsh overdrive as an Ampeg or a Mesa. Since the EQ is not active you can not make as much adjustments as on a modern designed graphic eq head. It delivers the sound of your bass and is great at it. No DI out, no other bells and whistels, just five knobs and a great sound. The overdrive is the sweetest I've ever heard from any bass tube amp or fx, pedal etc. Soundclips here using a fretless Gibson Ripper. Nothing fancy, just a rehearsal live recording with a simple Shure SM 57 by the 1x15" speaker:

http://www.skip.informatik.gu.se/~h...serToHome(Tour71Liveversion_extended_jam).mp3

The gain at about 8/10 here (the Ripper being moderate output)
    http://www.skip.informatik.gu.se/~henrik/gft/musik/GrandFunkTribute_SinsAGoodMansBrother__aug05.mp3
    http://www.skip.informatik.gu.se/~henrik/gft/musik/GrandFunkTribute_Paranoid__aug05.mp3

Mine is not the present factory built MK 3 pcb head but the custom shop ptp MK 2. From what I've read the MK 3 is'nt that far off though it is more high gain (thus can offer more overdrive when wanted) due to the use of three instead of two preamp tubes. The overall sound and characteristics should be just about the same. I run my head through the matching present 4x10" and the previous rear ported 1x15" cabs. A pic of me and the rig:

Orange_gig.jpg

By now I guess you've figured out I think it's woth the money. That said I think the Hiwatt custom 200W seems like a tough challenger though it's even more expensive here in Sweden.

11. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    tjena danne..

12. doombass

doombass

Jun 22, 2007
    Hallå Seb!

13. I'm still trying to find one to test out. :crying:

14. I compared the 200 watt Orange AD 200 with my Orange OD 120 which was actualy a guitar amp, the OD 120 was far superior regarding tonal variation, the AD200 was very expensive at £1100 UK $2200 USD for what it was.

15. Mattionals

Mattionals Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Doylestown, PA
    From my comparisons, I think that the Orange has so far been the nicest amp I have played. I am one for simple controls and the orange sums it up. Bass, Mid, and Treble, Gain, and Master. Thats it. I usually played through active basses tho, since I could just shape the sound on my bass, which is what I'd rather do.

However, for the price, I really can't justify that. I am going to take a look at the Markbass gear, which has been getting some awesome reviews, and if I like it I will probably go with that.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021