Orange Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    So, I've noticed that some of the bands I've seen live (various emo rock bands, Weezer, other bands with a similar vibe) seem to be using Orange heads for bass. I've been wondering if anyone could describe their sound or recommend any particular model of Orange amp for bass. I'm assuming that, like Hiwatt, they come from an era when bass-specific amps weren't really all that common, and their heads could handle guitar as well as bass (this would be useful for me, since I also play guitar.) Do their modern amps (the ones designed for bass) measure up to their vintage amps?
  2. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Golem, you should ask this question on the plexi palace board.

There are guys there that know TONS about old orange/hiwatt/sound city amps.
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    IMO, the new ones don't quite live up to the older models. They do have that same Class A kinda crunch, but they are now higher gain, and not as warm. I luvs me come Vintage Orange!
    mmm...'68 Graphic Overdrive 120 head with Celestians in a 4x12 cab, fed by an SG...yummy! :D
  4. I could be wrong... but I believe I heard that the old Orange amps are now Green amps and that the new Orange amps (while still cool) don't hold a candle to the originals... kinda like the Trace Elliot/Ashdown deal.

More info can be gotten at:

FWIW... Orange amps has the BEST wallpaper for your 'puter that I've ever seen! :D
  5. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    correct me if i am wrong, but im pretty sure that scott from weezer plays through an ampeg svt.
  6. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm afraid Scott was not yet a member of the band when I first saw them.
  7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    So you saw them with Mikey? Coz he was an SVT user as well...
  8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Orange makes a new bassamp on 200W alltube and its the best sounding head Ive heard. It has gotten great reviews in a local musicpaper too. The problem is its too expensive for me.:(
  9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Yes, but I'm pretty sure Matt Sharp used an Orange, at least for a while.
  10. Mr.Nimrod

Jul 23, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    yea, in the blue cd picture, he had an orange amp and a black fender jazz bass. came in the say it aint so video
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    God, I hate that vintage sound.
  12. god I Love that vintage sound!

13. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    i look for the vintage sound!