Orange are bringing the Terror Bass back!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassace33, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Bassace33

Bassace33

May 26, 2018
    Berkshire, UK.
    Just noticed this on the orange website:
    Terror Bass – Orange Amps

Really interested to see what difference the clean switch will make to the tone.

2. Looks like their web admin jumped the gun as this wasn’t meant to be announced for another 3 hours.

Personally, I’ll be buying one :D

3. Bassace33

Bassace33

May 26, 2018
    Berkshire, UK.
    Same here! Wonder what the pricing so going to be like :)
    Also it seems that they have replaced the Isobaric 212 cab with a OBC112 cab, according to the video.

4. Oh nice, I haven’t watched it yet. I was hoping for some new cabs. Maybe 2 112 and the Terror Bass for a mini rig.

5. Reviews are up:

NecroticNoise likes this.
  6. Oh man, I am excited for the cabs...

ORANGE OBC112 FEATURES:

• Features: 15mm high density ply
    • Power handling: 400 watts
    • Speakers: 1x Lavoce 12in
    • Impedance: 8 ohm
    • Unboxed dimensions (WxHxD): 48.5 x 42.5 x 35.5 cm (19.09 x 16.73 x 13.98 in)
    • Unboxed weight: 11.85 kg (26.12 lbs)

7. Bassace33

Bassace33

May 26, 2018
    Berkshire, UK.
    Pricing seems pretty reasonable too. The Terror Bass is £599, and the OBC112 is £399.

Plastalmonus likes this.
  8. bassman69

bassman69

Mar 13, 2005
    Youngstown, OH
    i am pretty excited about this rig, need a new mini rig but need to hear what that clean tone sounds like first.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Is it back or is it better? Wonder how they improved class-d?

From their current web site:

4 Stroke Bass Amplifier Series – Orange Amps
    "The 4 Stroke Series is our offering to the demanding modern bass player – everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Featuring all-analogue circuitry throughout, the 4 Stroke 300 & 500 speak with genuine authority, delivering powerful tones with a natural and rounded emphasis that leaves Class D amps in their wake."

;)

10. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The front end is more like the AD200 and some other nice upgrades, the 250w at 8ohms is good if you need a little less power for a cab. I dig me some Orange

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Which is all great, but doesn't really address @seamonkey 's point regarding their claim that it "leave class d amps in their wake" as the class d claim would be relative to the back end, not the front.

BadExample likes this.
  12. HotelX

HotelX Supporting Member

I’m still using my TB1000 pretty regularly. I think the cab looks pretty interesting.

punky and BasturdBlaster like this.
  13. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Like anything just play it and enjoy

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Orange “are” bringing.....?

15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Has anyone had a chance to compare this to the older BT500?

16. Band Mom

Band Mom Not Actually a Mom

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Just got mine! Haven't been able to crank it yet (bringing it to rehearsal tomorrow), but so far I like it. I owned a BT1K for a couple of years, and this one compares favorably to that bass amp. Seeing as how that's the only bass amp I regret selling, I think that's a good thing.

It has a familiar feel to it, and that same Orange roundness to the tone that I love so much about these amps. It also does that same "Switch on", "Pray when the light doesn't come on", and "A few seconds later the indicator lights up".
    I'd say if there are any differences, it's that this new amp is possibly slightly brighter in tone, and cranks out quite a bit more dirt than the original. Of course, I bought mine used way back when, so maybe someone did a tube swap with the original without me knowing? Regardless, it's a great amp so far, and I'm happy that the power section behaves more typically like other class D amps with regards to ohms and wattage. No fear that I'm going to melt a single cab when I want to travel light.

I'm only running it through a small 1x12" here at the house, but get to unleash it with my two OBC115s tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

jwindham and BioDriver like this.
  17. Band Mom

Band Mom Not Actually a Mom

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    As a follow up, I ended up ditching my Ampeg V4B as my main head in favor of this one. Nothing against the Ampeg, as it's a really great amp, but the Orange TB is my personal preference in bass tone and best suits the requirements of both of my bands.

Additionally, I grabbed the two OBC112s that were released at the same time as this amp. They sound good! I won't lie, as I freely admit that the OBC115s sound better, but IMO not "additional 80+ lbs to transport to practices and gigs" better. I *might* consider a speaker swap to maybe some Kappas to more closely match the 15s, but I'm pretty happy with the whole setup at this time.

punky, tewnty_two and jwindham like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 6, 2021