1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange Bass Amp - OB1 300 or 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by G Stilphen, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. G Stilphen

G Stilphen

Aug 29, 2018
    Hello - 300w seems like enough but do I really want the 500w? Is the 300w adequate for larger clubs?
    Planning to run it through a 90's mesa boogie 2x15.
    Thanks!

byoung93888 likes this.
  2. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I believe @byoung93888 has an OB1 300. I just received a 4 Stroke 500, and it's a monster.

4stroke500.

Though in all honesty, I don't think they'll be too much of a difference between the 300 watt and 500 watt versions. In theory, doubling wattage yields a 3 dB increase in output, which isn't that much. An SVT is 300 watts, and there are not too many venues where that wouldn't be enough. Mesa makes great cabs, and a 2x15, even with 100 watts, would cover most venues.

AstroSonic, Band Mom and byoung93888 like this.
  3. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    For me the OB1-300 is more than I need really. I've never played anywhere that I needed more but I haven't been fortunate enough to play arenas either.

mapleglo likes this.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I haven't played any arenas either, but we have played outside on a few occasions. I'm sure the 4 Stroke will do fine. It's at least as high output as my PF-800 which did well. Frankly, even my Micro VR, a 200 watt amp does well.

AstroSonic and byoung93888 like this.
  5. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Yeah I have done a couple of outside with the 300 and had no problems, I had a SVT350-H solid state head before and the OB1-300 is much louder to me. I haven't had a real tube SVT in years though and mine was only the comparable in name.

6. Band Mom

Band Mom Not Actually a Mom Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Austin, TX
    While I commented on my misadventures so far with the 4 Stroke (it's almost definitely a good amp, I just have bad luck), I also picked up an OB1 500 last week for a stoner metal project that I'm working on. Absolutely killer for the sound I wanted, and more than enough headroom with 500 watts to double as a cleaner amp for my main post-rock project.

So, like others said, it probably won't be significantly louder, but having the extra clean headroom is definitely worth considering.

byoung93888 likes this.
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    If money isn't a problem, get the 500. Always better to have a little more clean power and the GAIN on these will get you the grit regardless.

byoung93888 likes this.
  8. G Stilphen

G Stilphen

Aug 29, 2018
    Thanks everyone!