1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange bass terror 1000w vs ampeg svt3pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by imtiaz3, Sep 29, 2013.

1. imtiaz3

imtiaz3

Mar 31, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I have an offer to potentially trade my orange bass terror 1000 with an ampeg svt3pro

I realize now I'm not too big a fan of the orange tone for my playing and want to give ampeg a whirl. I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on how these heads compare?

Not so much on tone but more in terms of the power rating, tubes and over volume. My orange is plenty loud and is rated at 1000w. The ampeg is much less but has 3 pre amp tubes instead of 2 like the bass terror 1000, does the number of tubes play a role in the power or volume?

The retail price of the svt3pro is $1000, same as my orange so I really want to know what justifies it being at this price.

I'll be playing this through an orange obc 410 cab and the cab is rates for 8 ohms.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated about the above questions or if you think this is a bad trade.

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Ampeg> Orange

3. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

Mar 3, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I gigged with an Ampeg SVT3 Pro for about 3 years. It always seemed to lack volume and headroom. It seemed to be a very underwhelming 450 Watts @ 4 Ohms. In your case that would be 275 Watts @ 8 Ohms.

I have since learned that the tube bias should be checked for optimum performance, the Peak light needs to be lighting up, the Tube Gain controls the "mushiness" of the amp, and the Master Volume should be set fairly high and use the Gain knob to adjust the overall volume.

Definitely not as plug-in and play as the Bass Terror. Highly recommend trying it before you trade it.

4. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I've owned both and ended up with the Orange. A much better amp, IMO. The headroom alone makes it a no brainer. However, if you're really not feeling the Orange and you want something that can be cleaner and tuby-ier, find a Streamliner 900. I own that one too, and it cops the Ampeg tone just fine.