1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orange BT500 + OBC115 -vs- Ampeg PF500 + PF115HE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by g4string, Aug 25, 2012.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Was thinking about getting the Orange setup....I know all about the gain issues and DI issues on the Orange. It seems as thought the gain and DI issues are fixable (db pad and set of low gain tubes). I do have some reservations on the Orange.....

1) I have read the Terror 500 has some reliability issues cutting out.

2) People report the fabric covering on their cabs as being too thin and easily damageable

3) Kinda worry the Orange will be too much of a pigeonholed sound

The Ampeg....

1) Def hear reports of the PF500 cutting out

2) Assuming the Orange will have more db's due to the sealed/ported cab thing. Also, the Terror is a LOUD little sucker I quess.

All in all.....the Orange set up will cost me about $1300 where as the Ampeg will run me about $675. Kinda wondering if the Orange is really wort the extra coin. Also kind interested in know how much more volume the Orange will have over the Ampeg. I need a nice reliable rig.....kind wondering if either of these rigs will fit the bill.

2. happyg

happyg

Sep 17, 2011
    I've been thinking about the same set ups myself for the past month or so. I kind of feel like the orange is a one trick pony. But, it does that trick very well. I really like the switchable impedance too.
    The portaflex is neat set up, but I felt like it was lacking with just the one cab.

3. nitromullet

nitromullet

Mar 29, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    It sounds like you're looking for a vintage tone so you might consider the Mesa Walkabout Scout (or a Walkabout head with a different cab). I tried one of these at GC after I bought my Markbass setup, and sort of feel like I might end up owning one of these one day.

The Scout combo is ~$1600 new, but you should be able to find nice one used for less then $1300 fairly easily. The heads themselves sell for $500-600 used.