1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange.... computer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hover, Apr 21, 2010.

1. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok, so Orange is doing the whole modelling thing a little different. How? They're making a computer that looks like an amp, and has onboard recording, modelling and full featured Windoze 7 as well.

http://www.orangeamps.com/features.asp?ID=163

You think they're gonna change the BSOD to Orange? ;)

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Now we can start asking, what are you using for recording? An Apple or an Orange?

3. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    That is really.. really.. awesome.

Do want! (probably can't afford)

4. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    :D :D :D

Man ... the perfect "dorm room" computer! Killer! :cool:

5. Pfft. It's only got an NVIDIA 9300...

I kid, I kid. It looks pretty good.

6. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    'optional dedicated ATI 5670 512MB card for those who may want to play a few games while they put their guitars down.'

:p

7. playinpearls

playinpearls

Apr 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    i'll bet one of those -that the price is going to be over a thousand bucks...

8. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I was thinking just the same thing. It would probably be cheaper to build a computer to those specs, get some orange tolex and build an amp like case.

Edit: Of course this would be cheaper, but I'm thinking even cheaper than with a regular computer.

9. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I give them a year.

10. It's such an opposite medium though...

Amps (and all music gear), in general, become more valuable with age...

Computers lose value with age...

So, unless it's rediculously upgradeable, it'll be all but obsolete in 3ish years and a mediocre computer...

i SERIOUSLY thought this was an april fools joke... i'm still hoping it is... :scowl:

11. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    If we were on "The Price is Right", I'd be betting closer to $2000 or more.

12. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I bought a 30R for 20 bucks a few years back. It wouldn't power on and the speaker was busted, so I turned it into a PC. But hey, unemployment+beer will lead you in all kinds of directions :p

13. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Parting out Computers and building them yourself will almost 95% of the time leave you with a better machine for less money. The only problem is some of the software that comes already installed on certain computers, but that's rarely an issue, at least for me.

I've been putting computers together for some time now, and it's almost always more cost effective, and for me, the big thing, upgradable than buying a dell.

14. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Dell is complete trash now. Even their higher-end models have went waaaaay down hill. If you must pickup a PC in-store, I'd go for a Vaio.

15. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    This made me actually laugh out loud since I'm running 20+ Dells in my office that have never had ANY hardware failure. I also just read an article today on the reliability of PCs that supported the exact opposite of your flawed statement. Here's a few gems for you...
    and this...
    and this...
    and this...
    So in case you guys didn't catch the drift of these 4 independent studies, apparently Dell is complete trash.

16. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Wow. I can't believe I actually made you do that much work. Care to wash my car for me too? :hyper:

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Dang, that is sweet. I totally want one. Not sure what I would use the amp for though.

-Mike

18. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    My apologies, but I don't play well when attacked. I've had Dells for years, and have had to replace motherboards in 75% of them. I moved to Vaio's and haven't had a single issue. For me, Dells are crap. My business use them because were are partnered and get a 60% discount, and we again have nothing but problems. My own experiences...

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    So you're either really young or really old. Everyone else is used to the internet now.

:D

-Mike

20. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I never get used to over-compensating jerks :ninja: Got the dirt of off the truck yet? ;)