1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange Crush PiX Series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tommy Torsion, Nov 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tommy Torsion

Tommy Torsion

Oct 11, 2015
    Australia
    I've been on the lookout for a new amp since I relocated overseas, whilst browsing Gumtree came across the Orange Amplifiers Crush PiX CR50BXT 50W 1x12 Bass Combo Amp, for a reasonable price.

I've played through a Terror Bass head one time at a gig, cannae remember which cab it was connected to, but I instantly fell for orange equipment.

Just did a quick Google search on the amp and it mentioned some issues with clairty of tone if the volume is turned up high. Just wondered if anyone owned this amp that could prove or disprove this?

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Are you just looking for a practice amp, or something larger (to play along with other folks)?

Tommy Torsion likes this.
  3. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Have one of the Crush 50s. It's a good practice amp, but playing with anybody else, even if they're not too loud pushes it pretty hard. For playing with an acoustic type band it'd work well. Still doesn't have a lot of bottom end, but sounds good with good mids and not jangly highs. If I had the choice again I'd have gotten the Crush 100 instead. More power, enough to play with others, more bottom, just an all around better amp. Still, if the price is right and you're looking for a good quality practice amp it'd fit the bill. One thing I've found with it, and with the Terror 500 Combo, is to turn up the volume then turn up the gain until you get the amount of volume you need. If it breaks up too much turn the gain down, add more volume and then add gain. If you do it the other way I find it breaks up too much for my liking. But if you like the old Jack Bruce / Cream tone then use more gain and it's right there.

Tommy Torsion likes this.
  4. Tommy Torsion

Tommy Torsion

Oct 11, 2015
    Australia
    At this time just jamming with a band, lead and drums and me. Looking to play small pub/club venues in the future.

Damn, thanks fjadams. Thats what I worried about, I like a lot of low end on my low strings, when you can feel it in you balls, y'know.

5. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    fjadams hit on the reason why I was asking.
    I would personally keep eyes peeled for more amp if you're planning on using this for band. 50 watts into one 12 inch speaker is not delivering a lot of volume/power.
    I'm not saying you need to go crazy, but a single 12 speaker will most likely have problems keeping up volume-wise, unless (as mentioned above) your music stylings are on the lighter/quieter side.

And judging by your DFA1979 avatar and the fact you're looking into Orange amps after playing the Terror Bass, makes me think you're not interested in acoustic gigs. ;)

I could be mistaken...

6. Tommy Torsion

Tommy Torsion

Oct 11, 2015
    Australia
    Haha. Yeah, never done an acoustic gig, but am open to offers! This range has an input to connect another cab if needed. My worry with that is, if the Orange has tone issues when pushed, will affing another cab just make things even more murkier - for want of another phrase?

7. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think your biggest issue with tone will be affected by volume and size/power of the combo amp.
    I own two Orange amps (granted I don't have any experience with the Orange Crush in particular), but I would definitely not say that clarity is lost or tone gets muddy or murky by pushing volume. Then again they are 200 watt (all tube) and 500w (hybrid) heads fed into a 4x10 cab.
    The issue that could possibly arise with unpleasant tone would be a byproduct of speaker limitations (single 12) or pushing the amp into a clipping (since it is only 50 watts).
    As a solid state amp, it's not going to react exactly like the Terror Bass you played and loved. And since it's a single 12 combo, I don't think you'll be getting the balls feeling you mentioned earlier. ;)

With an extension cab, you obviously will get more volume and the range of tone will depend on the cab you pair with it. Your best bet would be to find another 12" Orange cab.