1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange juice vs oxford

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keatz, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Hi, after listening to some clips from @FaithNoMan , I decided I really like the sound of the oxford. The joyo orange juice is cheaper and smaller so if it comes close i will go down that path. Has anyone tried both? Btw I will be blending via ls2 so loss of bottom end is not a dealbreaker.
    Thanks

zapped777 and FaithNoMan like this.
  2. Unfortunately, I haven't tried both. The Oxford has a lot of low-end, though. Glad you liked the clips! (There's a lot of variety buried in the Character control)

Fuzzbass and zapped777 like this.
  3. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Yeah, I'm currently rocking the vt which is an always on for me with character at 11 and drive at 10:30, but the orange pedal will be used as an added light OD that will be about 75% of the time (everything other than massive riffs and super clean bits)
    What would the settings have been for this clip?
    Playing: Tech21 Oxford.mp3 - picosong

4. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    If you're using the VT as main tone shaper (with it's built in cab sim) and the Orange as added grit, I'd go with the Joyo just based on price alone.

Crystalman85 and keatz like this.
  5. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    To add, I was interested in this sound for a while and did some research. I found a thread in I believe it was an Orange forum from a guy that owns the real deal, but also bought all the Orange sims to compare. His favorite sounding was the Joyo, but he gave the nod to the Oxford because it included a cab sim.

skydivingninja and keatz like this.
  6. I'm still yet to try an Oxford.
    I am absolutely LOVING my Orange Juice tho!!
    I rehearsed on Sunday for four hours and didn't turn it off!!

Crystalman85 likes this.
  7. If I can remember correctly, I had the Character set very very low. 6 month old Hi-Beams. And my Peavey MarkVI set relatively flat. All controls for eq set near middle, with a small bump in bass and treble (2.5 k, so high mids really), and a slight, very small cut to mids (500hz) But I think I left punch engaged on the Peavey so you can consider my mids pretty much uncut there.

The very low Character setting is based on Orange's F.A.C. control, with the very cw range being sparkly. Also, to get any good grunt with my 70's repro pups on my Ric, I had the drive almost set full because of the low Character setting

I have other clips of it almost maxed, though. I like well before 12, and well after 12 o clock. Weird, right??

8. You can get similar sounds with the Character with slight changes by turning up or down teh overdrive, though.

Like this one. Character high, low OD

Playing: 1223bbb.mp3 - picosong

Settings(left them from when that clip was played):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

zapped777 likes this.
  9. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    Meaty!

FaithNoMan likes this.
  10. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Love it. Your not doing a very good job of saving me money........
    P.s the pics don't seem to be working.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    FaithNoMan likes this.
  11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    @FaithNoMan those tones sound great! What bass and strings are those recorded with? If I could get that tone with my P and (Cobalt) rounds I'll probably go for the Oxford.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  12. Thanks,
    I think you could. It's my Ric, which is bright..but the strings are 6 month old Hi-Beams. Cobalts are very bright.

Speaking of P basses, I think this pedal gets a very nice John Wetton "Red" era tone. I should upload one soon. I know he used Hiwatt amps, but this pedal beats the Leeds in that area for some reason, as well.

13. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I couldn't find any youtube demos on bass. Does the pedal lose any lows?

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I was thinking of getting a joyo orange juice myself. inspired by a youtube clip I've come across, I was looking to add that to my pedalboard along with one of the joyo chorus pedals. here's the clip.

Such an Incredible grind.

15. No, you can boost them a lot.

The Joyo kinda has a bit of the B3K thing going on. I like it. I think the Oxford has a bit more of the midrange grunt going on.

Here's a really old one of The Oxford going straight to DAW:
    Playing: dummydarko.mp3 - picosong

I'm pretty sure the settings were close to this:
    [​IMG]

Here's another old one direct to DAW where I had the speakersim off, and a lot more drive:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    SunnBass likes this.
  16. smeet

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    So... is the Oxford discontinued? It seems a bit hard to find.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  17. What is better Hyundai or Dodge Viper.??
    Oxford is the Dodge ;)

18. Earthquaker Devices Monarch is another great option.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  19. It is! My favorite pedal they ever made, and I've owned a majority of them, and almost all the bass variants (including the PSA-1)

Reverb and Ebay. You can find a mint one for 85-130 or so. I actually wrote tech21 about this, expressing how great and poorly marketed to bassists they are. To me, it's so much better than the VT.

20. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    This isn't a tone I have ever sought out from pedals. A practice studio I used all the time in London though had a ton of orange tube gear and whenever I didn't want to lug my Ampeg stuff, I would use it. It admittedly sounded amazing and is the only time I got a tone I really loved from my SG. That EQD monarch does look pretty damn good.