1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange O-Bass Upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Charles Barrow, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have had an Orange O-Bass for about a year kept stock with the exception of replacing the strings with La Bella stainless steel roundwounds. I love the Bass, it has been my go to for uncompromising, nasty and overdriven sounds. Recently I took a tumble at a rehearsal and snapped the D key clean off, no damage to the Bass but the tuning key will have to be replaced. I have decided that this was a perfect excuse to do a full upgrade. My current thoughts are to replace all the tuners with Hipshot HB-1 tuners, the bridge with the Hipshot Kick Ass Bass Bridge and the pickups with the DiMarzzio DP127. I am looking for thoughts and opinions on my choice of upgrade and any experience anyone else has with upgrading one of these Basses.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I don't have an Orange but in general (and since you say you love the bass) I'd try the tuners first and see if that changes anything, then move on to the bridge, then pickups.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  3. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    This is always an issue with me. There is nothing I dislike about the Bass, but I am by nature a "tweaker" and so the idea of replacing the tuners opens up the idea of doing across the board alterations to "make it my own". This has happened many times before with many different Basses and completely unnecessarily. It is a sickness!

Ghastly likes this.
  4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've been modding instruments for decades. Sometimes it works out right, sometimes not.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You don’t like the tone?

6. Charles Barrow

Charles Barrow

Jan 9, 2012
    Atlanta
    Actually I do, however it is not what I call a versatile tone. I can get a nice dark and woody sound if I roll all the way off on the tone, but roll up just a tad and it gets bright and brassy quick. I can get an absolutely wonderful John Entwistle on Live at Leeds tone from this Bass but getting a smoother more subtle sound has been more difficult. I feel upgrading the pickup with the DiMarzzio DP127's might make it more versatile without losing what I already like about the Bass.