1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orange OB1-300 EQ and Distortion Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kbakerde, Feb 23, 2018.

1. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Calling out to Orange users!!

I've been enamored for a while with Orange OB1 heads. I usually use a tube Bassman, but especially with my one band, I wanted a head that had a good hard aggressive tone a bit baked in. I was also curious as many of the demo's I've seen made the head appear that the clean sound is pretty good and pretty round. I got the head from Sweetwater, and played it through my Avatar 2x12 Neo cabinet.

I'm not sure what I think about it yet, it can be really hard to determine how good an amp sounds just playing it by myself. I need to use it in a mix to really see how it sounds and how the EQ responds. BUT, I found that the EQ does get kind of touchy, and it can get into boomy or honky very quickly. I liked a lot of things about the amp, but it seemed compressed, like it didn't have as much low or high end as I feel it should. I am wondering what kind of settings people are using on the fairly simple EQ to get the head to sit well in the mix?

Similar question on the Distortion circuit. I know people have said it, but it sounds like the overdrive can get really buzzy, what are peoples preferred OD settings? Anyone not using the OD circuit? Gonna try to get the head out to use at rehearsal in the next week, give it a work through the paces, so I'll report back.

2. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    So no one wants to participate, but that's ok haha. I was able to take the amp into practice yesterday and used it at practice. I got the amp in order to take advantage of the overdrive capability of the amp, but in practice I actually don't care for it terribly. I expected that I would find a sweet spot of the overdrive to have the setting lower in the 9-11 o'clock range with the blend up close to half way. After playing with it, I found the opposite to be true, keeping the blend low with the overdrive half way up. Gives the amp a more full sound. I found as you crank up the blend on the overdrive channel, the volume goes up a LOT, but also the tone seems compressed and overly mid heavy. For the EQ, really just adjust slightly to taste depending if you want mids, lows highs or what have you.

So far I am impressed.

Hydron likes this.
  3. betown

betown

Feb 22, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    I have the OB1-500 and I’m in love with it! I’m more then happy to share any opinions with you my dear bass brother :)

4. COFFINMAGIC

COFFINMAGIC

Mar 25, 2018
    I had an OB1500. I thought the overall tone of the amp on its own was great. The drive section was weird....it wasn’t enough drive for me even with the drive and blend dimed. Also hissed madly with drive on 10. So I tried a combination of some of the amp’s drive and a pedal and the amp HATED it. Wouldn’t let me stack them without flattening out and hissing in a crazy compressed way. Even without using the amp’s drive and just using a few different pedals the EQ section refuses to cooperate. If I turned any of the EQ knobs past noon with any effect pedal engaged it just flattened and hissed again. Never seen anything like it. So I returned it and got a 4-Steoke instead. It has that compression knob which behaved EXACTLY like the drive in the OB. The EQ also behaved the same. I returned that amp too. I guess these new class A/Bs just don’t like pedals. Strange. Just my story.