1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange OB1-500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dcbassist5, Feb 19, 2016.

1. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    just picked one up and this thing is easily top 3 amps I've ever played! I typically play and Ashdown ABM500 but I've also owned Ampeg SVT 2, 3, 4 and CL as well as well as GK 1001RB and MB Fision 800. I've played about every amp that's out there over the past 15 years and I was blown away by this thing.

SO simple! Master volume, treble, mids, bass. Having said that its VERY versatile! Also has a 2nd channel that can be engaged via FS. The channel is engaged WITH channel 1 and has 2 knobs....blend and grit. It can go from mild tube like grit to full blown chaos distortion.

Can't say enough good things about it!

Oh and power for days!!!!!

Milo's, mancefine and TMARK like this.
  2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    cool man i've been wanting to try one of these.

dcbassist5 likes this.
  3. outoftune

outoftune Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I am really loving mine also. The vintage tone this thing gives me is sooooooooo nice. Quick question, what watts is this running on an 8 ohm load? 350?

4. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    I think so....but it's SERIOUSLY loud!!! I am running mine with a 210 Orange cab that is 8 ohms and it's ridiculous!

outoftune likes this.
  5. murfe

murfe

Oct 5, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I had a Terror Bass 500 for a while and absolutely loved that head, had to send it in for repair and picked up the MB Fusion 800 for a gig. Stupid me, thought the MB Fusion had a nice sound and too much versatility to not keep, so I sold the TB500. Kicked myself pretty quickly after.
    Thought I'd try the Mesa but I had to go back to Orange.

Picked up an OB1-500 and I think it might be the last head I buy unless I get something all tube. I love the simplicity, and the tone of this thing. Blender is amazing, gain is amazing, and it fits me perfectly!

dcbassist5 and outoftune like this.
  6. murfe

murfe

Oct 5, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    BTW: playing through a markbass 1x15. Have a Mesa PH 2x12 that I need to hear hooked up to this though, bet it's killer.

7. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Hiho,Glad you enjoy your Orange.
    They are good amps.I use a terror bass 500 but have played the others apart from the new four stroke,they all sound Orange.

murfe and dbassdbt like this.
  8. murfe

murfe

Oct 5, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I absolutely LOVED my TB500, and regret letting it go. This OB1 is awesome, the only con compared to the TB is the weight and size.

9. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Just wanted to add, after owning the OB1-500 for a few weeks now, I would also put this in my top 3, maybe even top 2 favorite amps I've ever owned. And not just 'good for the size/weight' or 'good for a solid state amp'. I mean GOOD as a bass amplifier period. I've owned several SVT Cl's, Ampeg SVT 2-pro,SVT-3 Pro, Mesa Walkabout, V4b/ V4b reissue, GK800, Orange Th500 and more that I cant remember at the moment and I put the OB1-500 among the top of this list. Its hard to get a good idea of how you're going to take peoples opinions on amps because of different musical styles requiring different tones. BUT, for driving/hard rock, punk/ hardcore, indie rock(which is the type of bands I've been in for the last 15 years) this thing nails the 'bad-ass low end with raunchy growl' that my P and J basses LOVE. Just my 2 cents of course.