1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange OB1 without cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dupseb, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Hi all,

I was about to order an OB1-300 when I read in the manual that it was not possible to use the XLR output without having a speaker connected. For me it is a problem because I often record at home using my headphone.

I then decided to contact my sales representative to ask if the Orange manual was up-to-date. I also mentioned that, stil according to the Orange manual, it was possible to use the 4-Stroke without speaker connected. He decided to contact the Orange sales representative considering that the 4-stroke and the OB1 are both A/B amplifiers. The sales representative answer: "Yes, you can use the DI without having a speaker connected to the amp. Just like the 4-stroke."

I would like to know if anybody has tried to play OB1-300 without speaker connected and used de XLR and/or line outputs to record using audio interface an DAW.

Thanks!

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Didn't try it with the OB1-500 I briefly had but have done it with other solid state amps. In general solid state output stages are fine being run into an open/infinite load.

BassmanPaul and dupseb like this.