1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange OBC 112 anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, May 5, 2019.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Hi!
    The OBC 112 is fairly new so I could not find much info except for this thread: Orange Amplifiers OBC112 400W 1X12 Bass Speaker Cabinet (helpful and GAS-inducing though)
    Anyone out here who can tell me how the Orange compares to other 112s (GK, Markbass, whatsoever...)?
    The few sound samples I found suggest it has beefy low mids. I'm not so sure about the low end...
    Regards,
    Matthias

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Bump..
    No-one?

3. 19sixty3

19sixty3

Mar 13, 2019
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi Matthias. You may consider to shoot @mapleglo a message if you don’t get any reply here. I am sure she can provide you with some very valuable first hand insights.

Matthias and beans-on-toast like this.
  4. 19sixty3

19sixty3

Mar 13, 2019
    Berlin, Germany
    Matthias likes this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I actually have not had a chance to compare the OBC112 to other cabinets with 12" speakers. But they certainly compare fairly well with my Ampeg 15's. I have gigged with a pair of the Orange cabs on several occasions and found them quite sufficient. They handle the lows from my 5 string very well, and offer a pretty flat response. I'm real happy with them. I especially love the light weight construction. i think they are about 26 pounds each.

6. TubeDood

TubeDood Banned

May 31, 2019
    I currently have 2 Orange OBC 112's.
    I'm testing them against my GK Neo 412

As far as volume it's there, I've given these 2-12s a thorough beating and they take everything I give them... definitely enough for any gig as my GK is kind of overkill for everything.
    Hence the downgrade in size.
    they have a nice solid low end, a little bit thicker than the gk's for sure and yes the OBCs are a bit stronger in the low mids as compared to the GKs which are a bit stronger in the high mids.
    The GK 12s are more articulate than the OBC 12s , but the oranges definitely have enough treble presence , unless you're a habitual slapper ,then you might want a little bit more high end.

I'm only on day 3 of playing em , but within the first 15 minutes of playing , I was reminded of my 90's Ampeg 810 . Because of their thickness and warmth .

With some Eq'n I was able to find out that the GK neos & OBC's are probably more similar than different , in retrospect of 12's.
    Once I got the GKs to match the warmth of the OBCs, I lost some articulation and midrange definition ,
    And once I got the OBCs to match the GKs , it had a rounder bottom end , but lost some of the thickness.

Still deciding which one stays. :)

19sixty3 and Matthias like this.
  7. TubeDood

TubeDood Banned

May 31, 2019
    Size comparison pic! 20190601_005944.jpg