1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange OBC 115 (Metal question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saetia, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I had a couple 15's back in the day but they kinda turned me off as they were old designs and really didn't have much mid content (GK and Laney). Those were my first cabs that were outside of a combo amp years ago and since I've only played through one 15 cab that I really liked, that being the Bag End S-15D. I liked how efficient they were as well as having a load of mid range content as well as being all around smooth and musical.

I've been reading a lot lately about the Orange OBC 115 cab here in searches. It seems that users of this cab report that it has a very nice musical mid range as well as a smooth top end. I really like my mids, but would like to add a bit of low that cuts. I tracked down a dealer who is a very small shop that I never new about in my town of 15,000 people (I prefer to support local establishments anyway). He said he can get me one in to try out in the next few days here, but I wanted to ask the following question to TB'ers who currently or in the past who have owned said cab as well as possibly those who might play in a band of the genre.

My band is a progressivesq band with many flavors of thrash, hardcore and metal thrown into the mix. We tune drop D as many of the chords we use would be very hard to pull off in standard tuning. We have a rather mid-range tone to our guitars and I have a pretty mid range tone on bass with a punchy attack and smooth treble. As I mentioned we are a mid range based band that stack odd chord structures with odd harmonies to give precieved low end rather then mud low end. My current cab is a SWR Henry the 8x8 and I love it to death, but sometimes I think it's a little to transparent, it punches through wonderfully across the fretboard (sometimes the 5th fret on A is a bit weak) low to high. I just feel that it lacks texture while being all cut.

Any TB'er out there have experience with this cab in a metal based bad? If not, for those of you who play different genres with these cabs, what are your thoughts on using this cab for metal?

I've read Tom's 15" cab shoot out as well as many others based on this and the Orange 410 cab and find the OBC 115 to be a very appealing cab.

I would also entertain your thoughts on the 410 cab in such instances as well... or both together.

If I was to go the 115 route I'd be getting two of them.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

-Benny