1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange OBC 410 Bass cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandon.miller, Dec 27, 2011.

1. brandon.miller

brandon.miller Supporting Member

May 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    When playing at higher volumes there is a loud whistling sound that comes out of the 1/4" speaker inputs on the back. So just out of curiosity I opened up my Orange OBC 410 to see what it looked like inside and noticed there was no dampening material. I've never owned a ported bass cab since I've mainly owned sealed Ampeg cabs. Anyone know why I'm getting that annoying whistle or if it's suppose to not have anything in the speaker compartments?

Thanks

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Lining won't fix the whistling but it should be lined anyway. The whistling is air through the jack hole from the moving speakers. Easy fix is to plug an old broken plug in the hole just to close it. A rubber plug will also work. There are more closed type 1/4" jacks if you want to replace it.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There may be some caps out there that screw on over the jack if there are a few threads sticking out for them to grab.

4. brandon.miller

May 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    Yea I plugged them up and the whistling went away. Just seemed weird there was no lining. I didn't think lining would help anyways.

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Yes it will!!!
    I lined my OBC 115 and it made a world of difference. Look it up, there are a lot of threads on it.
    For what they charge there is no excuse for not lining them.

6. brandon.miller

May 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I was meaning I didn't think it would help with the whistling. I'm attempting to dampen it now. And I agree for a thousand dollar new cab seems like they would do that for you. I just didn't know if it wasn't lined for a reason.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Oh, the lining will help the tone for sure, just not the whistling. I never put lining over any wiring/electronics. I always think it might catch fire. Maybe a little OCD on my part there, maybe not.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The reason is to save a few bucks. There is no reason not to line a cab other than that. Should notice clearer mids, a bit less boom.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It saved them $5. :hyper:

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    On a $1000.00 cab I think they could squeeze that into the budget. I can understand it on a $400 cab. Neo speakers would be nice too for a grand instead of the lower priced Eminence.