Orange OBC115, day one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Yay, new cab! After wanting a more manageable cab that maintained a good old school vibe for some time now, I finally bit the bullet and bought an Orange 115 based on the reviews 'round these parts. She's a beaut, lemme tell you. This isn't so much a review as an observational report of my experiences with the cab after one rehearsal.

This is my first 15" cab... I've used crappy combos with 15's before, but never paired one with a decent head, until now. Prior to this I was using my gigantic LDS sealed/tweeterless 610. Sounds great, nails my tone, but damn if it isn't huge, heavy, and unwieldy. Its actually not too bad for its size, but "its size" barely fits in my car, so that's no fun. I'm keeping the big gun for the festival gigs I like to imagine i'll play some day. Anyway, it was pretty interesting to hear the tonal differences right off the bat. First thing I noticed... this 8 ohm 15" cab with its ported design "feels" almost as loud as the sealed 610. But its a different kind of loudness. Its thick sounding, but in a different way, hard to describe really. The 610 always seemed like a pretty "dark" cab, what with its tweeterless design, and this feels comparable on the top end. Though with some treble and upper mid boosting it seems like I can get some edge on my tone. The lows are definitely there, but again they just feel a bit different.

The one thing that's most interesting... my bass now seems to react differently when I move around the fretboard. Like a lot of Rick's, the A string typically felt the loudest and most solid, but overall it was pretty well balanced between all the strings. Now, I"m noticing that for whatever reason, lower notes on the E string feel a bit louder, while high notes on the D and G string almost feel thinner. But strangely enough, when I flick my pickup selector on the Rick to solo the bridge pickup, it still has the edge I like out of it, but it feels a bit more substantial than it ever did with the 610. Interesting the way certain things feel differently, and react in diferent ways. As with any new piece of gear, there's gonna be an adjustment period, and I'll likely have to play around with my EQ settings a bit, both on my Ashdown head, my VT bass pedal, and the tone controls on the Rick as well in order to nail my ideal sound. But so far, I'm liking what I hear out of this gorgeous little cab... and having it weigh 60 lbs less certainly doesn't hurt!

2. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Nice choice on a 115. The OBC 115 is one of the best sounding ones out there IMHO.

Dan

3. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Day two(of band rehearsal, i've had it for about 2 weeks altogether now): the bridge pickup solo'd is now my go-to tone on the Rick. Its got so much snarling bite and definition its unreal, but something about this cab thickens up the tone to the point where it's not as brittle sounding as it was with the 610. I'm really, really liking this cab! And I'm still blown away that the difference in volume between this ported 8ohm 115 and the sealed 4ohm 610 isn't all that noticeable. Before i'd have my amp set around 9 o'clock, now it's more like 9:45-10 o'clock. Not too shabby! Still plenty of power left untapped from my Ashdown... now I just need to test it at a gig!

4. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Oh, one thing to complain about though... someone mentioned this in a Talkbass review actually. It's the tolex... its a bit softer than other brands, and it tears incredibly easy. Now, i don't mind a little bit of roadwear. Battle scars are badass after all. But I wound up with a tolex rip on the front of the cab after babying this thing... for only one practice! I quickly ordered a vinyl cab cover, which should prevent further accidents, but still, kinda annoying.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Buy a can of orange duratex :)

6. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Congrats!

A pair of these in black is high on my GAS list!

7. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    They're great cabs, for sure. I actually wanted it in black originally, but i saw em in person at NAMM and the tolex on the black ones weirded me out. Whereas the orange ones have a nubby, vintage texture like you'd expect, the black ones are much smoother, more of an 'elephant-skin' material. Looked more like the material Mesa uses on some of their gear, or the brown tolex Aguilar uses on their DB series. Something kinda modern about it. I dunno, i probably overthink these things, haha. I need my nubs!

8. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Good info, I've never seen the black up close. Can't go wrong with orange either - very iconic!

9. I've always LOVED the TL606 style 1x15" cabs- which the Orange is very similar too. Dang it- that was MY ONLY cab for about 7 yrs- that & a 160w All tube Eminar(Aus made tube beast) made a great rig that suited virtually EVERY situ. I still love that cab! Congrats on your Orange. Oh & I agree re the tolex..... some modern tolex seems to rip at the mere thought of a slight rub on a concrete step or the like. My Berg NV215 is a tolex covered one(my NV610 has the carpet-which I prefer-sure it don't LOOK as neat, but damn- it looks neater than a ripped up tolex covered cab!)- anyway the NV215 IS tolex covered & has a few nicks in it, I installed skid rails on it's rear(a'la the SVT810 etc) & aso got a mate -who's an expert sewing machinist- to make me up a heavy duty black canvas cover. Helps!!!!! So I'd advise on a cover for the 1x15" if ya wanna keep the Orange intact

10. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    People do seem to like the OBC115 a lot, don't think I've read any negative reviews about it.

That's surprising given all the extra cone area of the 610. When pushed with a lot of watts, I'd be surprised if the 610 didn't pull away. Are there published efficiency ratings for each cab?

Is the OBC115 a dead-on TL606 accurate cab? Anybody care to share the interior dimensions/port size of the OBC115?

11. I played one of these bad mothers with a bass terror the other day. I was amazed. Even my wife liked it.

12. you know the rules....no pix....no ripped tolex orange....
    ;)

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    They're awesome cabs, for sure. Once I find another one my rig'll be complete.

14. I've always loved the look of the orange cabs maybe it's about time i go and try some out!

15. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    I'm so lazy I'll never remember to bring a camera to practice... I usually wait til someone snaps some live shots, so... maybe if I end up with any tour pics from SXSW in a couple weeks, I'll try to post em.

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    BEST sounding 15" cab IMO - I've had mine for like 3 years now. It spanks.

I've got a Tuff Box case for mine (came with it when I bought it on craigslist). I'd look into one of those to protect it. Not as heavy or as expensive as the steel flightcases, but it protects it most definitely.

17. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Yeah, the 610 is definitely a little bit louder, but it wasn't the night-and-day volume difference I expected. I figured I'd have my amp set to noon, but that hasn't been the case. I'm guessing it's a combination of factors, including the fact the 610 is sealed and the Orange is ported, as well as the perceived loudness of the frequencies the Orange is really pumping out. There aren't any specs on my 610 cuz its a custom LDS build, and I don't think Orange ever posted specs on this particular cab, but I could be mistaken. One thing to bear in mind for anyone considering this cab... its tweeterless, and the zing you might be used to from 2-way or 3-way cabs won't be there. But my entire band was surprised at just how articulate this thing can be. Its got a different feel than the 610 (also tweeterless), but with a little EQ tweaking I can get as much treble as I personally need for the grindy classic rock stuff I like.

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The exterior dimensions, at least, are a bit larger than a TL606. It looks like a TL606, but I suspect that it has some differences. I'd love to get one and compare it to my beloved TL606s ...

Cheers,
    Liam

19. I have one in "limited edition" white. It's a great sounding cabinet for sure.

20. Destructobot

Destructobot

Jul 22, 2008
    Orange cabs look great and all, but holy hell are they expensive. $500+ for a single 15" cab? I could build four for that price.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021