1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange OBC115 vs. Aguilar DB115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamthief, Apr 16, 2010.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I haven't been able to find any head-to-head comparisons of these two cabs, although I've read lots of good things about each of them.

I currently have the Orange 15 - I love it to death, and it left an Aguilar GS115 in the dust playing both cabs side by side.

I am curious about the DB115, though, especially with the mid-forward voicing of this particular series. Has anyone out there had a chance to compare these two cabs? Would an OBC/DB stack work soundwise, if not aesthetically?

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Luddite lover-of-fifteens bump!

3. I think the OBC115 x2 will be your best bet. Not tested the Aguilar, and although I love their DB cabinets, with the 15 Id go for Orange.

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    The Reeves box is price competitive with the Orange and very nice.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    nysbob, have you compared the two?

6. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    If it helps I have a db412. it has a very pronounced midrange and is overall very even in the highs and lows. It has a nice amount of "wobble" on the low as well. I have tried to 810 as well, and that one was more smooth sounding with a tighter bass end.
    To be perfectly honest the way aguilar describes the cab voicings are their website is pretty dead on.

The orange is a bit more gritty I would say, has that orangey sound to it sorta if that makes sense. So it depends on what you want. I would say the aguilar db series is defiantly a more versatile sounding cab.

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Yes I have, side by side. The Orange cab pushes out great lows, the Reeves cab is considerably brighter (no tweet or horn either) with still plenty of beef.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I've been considering these three cabs for my next purchase and I'd love to hear some more opinions on the matter.

Played on a DB115 earlier today. Wow! I was definitely impressed.

9. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Surely someone has played all three of these cabs and can render some sort of opinion. I'm looking at you Tom Bowlus ;)

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    :bag:

Actually, I have not spent much time with a DB115, other than at NAMM Shows, so I really can't say, but I would have to back up what nysbob has to say regarding the Orange and the Reeves 1x15's. :cool:

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Ok. Thanks.

How would you compare the Orange to the Bag End S15-D? FWIW, I thought the Aguilar sounded a lot like a Bag End with more booty.

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I have not played the Aguilar DB115.
    But the orange OBC115 is as good a 15" cab as I have played.
    x2 would be killer.

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I haven't had a chance two play the other two cabs but I really liked the DB115 I tried. Plus, it was a smokin deal so I picked it up today at lunch.

Funny, now that I'm back from lunch I suddenly feel ill. I'll probably have to go home early ;)