1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange OR50 with bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brennanmcnally, Nov 6, 2013.

1. So I was offered a new Orange OR50 in a trade, and while doing some research on it I've heard a couple people say that they've used it successfully with bass. Anyone have any experience with this amp? I would LOVE to hear a demo of bass being played through the amp, but alas -- none to be found yet. I'm really attracted to the OR50 as a guitar head, but if it's usable to get a heavier, grindier bass tone that just may seal the deal. The master volume can be defeated with a footswitch, which could boost the headroom and make it more bass friendly.

2. You are going to need some efficient cabs to make that thing work for bass.

3. I'm using a late 70's Fender 2x15" right now...

4. No way to know if that is going to be loud enough for you needs. I would try it and see if it meets your needs.

Personally I would need a lot more cab with that amp.

5. Yeah, unfortunately the guy lives about 3 hours away, but I'm hoping to meet halfway next weekend and give it a go. Worst comes to worst, it's a killer guitar amp that I can get plenty of use out of in that regard!

6. brennan did you get a chance to check it out? thoughts?

7. Hey Mark,

I did end up getting the amp! It's absolutely awesome on guitar for early 70's rock stuff - has a very Houses Of The Holy type tone with medium gain - though it can clean up a bit too. Not much though – definitely an amp meant to be overdriven.

On bass, it really lacks the headroom you need to play outside of a bedroom or very small club. 50 watts don't really go too far with bass, especially an amp built for overdrive (even on guitar, this amp breaks up very fast). I will say it's a very loud 50 watts, at least on guitar. It doesn't really do clean at all... there's only a couple millimeters on the gain knob to play with before it breaks up. That said, it can sound pretty awesome with a little grit, and doesn't lose much bottom at all when you really get into fuzz territory. For recording or just playing around at home, it's quite fun. The studio I got the amp from A/B'd it with an SVT, and the bass player they were recording chose the OR50's tone over the SVT. Apples to oranges, but in a recording or other low volume situation OR if you just really want that nasty tube fuzz at more manageable volumes, the tone is pretty stellar.

TL;DR Fun tool to have in the arsenal, but definitely won't cut it as a standalone bass amp for most situations. Heavy and ballsy for guitar.

Attached Files:

8. This may not benefit anyone, but when I was researching the OR50 I noticed that there really weren't that many good demos on YouTube, so it was hard for me to really get an idea of how it sounds before I could play one. This only affects guitarists really, but I found a few great live videos of the OR50 in action... and two of them are of Jimmy Page playing one (with an AD30 faceplate, because they gave him the very first OR50 before the OR50 faceplates had been manufactured).

Led Zeppelin:
    http://youtu.be/lsLxeW9RDIc
    http://youtu.be/fpigDGf6vXM

Rival Sons:
    http://youtu.be/1ricMOzXsjA
    http://youtu.be/KySKOWwUDuA

Hope this helps anyone googling around for OR50 discussion on message boards.

9. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    In the early 1980's I used an Orange OD 120 for bass. No clean headroom, but loud, gnarly tone when pushed hard with my 1964er Precision bass.

I liked that amp a lot together with a custom built, sealed 410''-cab without tweeter. Sweet sound! I used this halfstack in a punk rock band.

10. mancefine

mancefine

Jul 7, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    The OR won't be good for bass. The Thunderverb line of Orange guitar head WILL, as they have the same pre amp as Orange's bass rigs and have enough wattage to run a bass rig. You'll find that the OR 50 being only 50 watts will not be nearly powerful enough for a good bass rig.

11. Forrrest

Forrrest

Mar 10, 2013
  12. Interesting -- that would certainly have enough clean headroom, but I'd have no use for that much wattage, and it looks like the price point will be almost the same as the AD200B.

13. seeing as i play regularly through a fender bassman 10 combo which is 50 watts tube i think i'll be just fine :) still toying around with getting one of these as the prices have dropped recently. or maybe the TV50 well see.

14. What a blast from the past!

It really is a great amp on guitar, but I moved it pretty quickly because it was just too loud for me to use on guitar at home, and not really great on bass. I traded it for a 1969 Gibson Les Paul Recording Bass, so I think I came out on top!

I'd definitely recommend it if you're playing fuzzy bity guitar, but if you're only looking for an amp to use just on bass I'd definitely recommend looking elsewhere. The way the gain structure is set up on the Orange, it just runs out of headroom immediately, and it doesn't have a lot of low end (even on guitar). Definitely sits in the midrange.

markjazzbassist likes this.