1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orange osage as a fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allenhumble, Aug 17, 2007.

1. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    What are the properties of this wood? Hard? soft? ect.
    Would this wood be a good or bad idea for a fingerboard?

2. From what I understand, it's pretty hard and durable, and relatively stable. Maybe not quite ebony hard, but pretty hard. I don't know what the texture is like, though. It might require some pore filling.

You might try asking in the Luthiers' forum below.

3. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    done. How do I delete this thread?

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Very hard, yellowish in color, and insect-resistant. Makes GREAT firewood!!!! Not sure about acoustic properties though.

5. I can think of at least two well-established classical guitar makers who have used it for backs and sides. If they think it's OK, it probably does have some usable acoustic properties.

6. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Does it darken significantly over time?

7. My understanding is that it does if not protected by a finish (and maybe even then if exposed to a lot of UV and the finish isn't UV-protective).

8. One of the most beautiful sounding acoustic guitars I've ever played was a McKnight with Osage Orange back and sides. Really incredible. :bassist:

9. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    What are you doing using it as FIREWOOD???

Orange Osage makes some of the best traditional bows in the world, its the best bow wood except for maybe yew.

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Well...I live in an old farm-house and burning wood helps to keep the gas bill down in the winter. Osage orange (or hedge apples as we call 'em) burn for a long time and burn clean, plus it's easy to split (try splitting oak! = NOT FUN!). It's also nice to bring in a load of firewood that doesn't have all kinds of critters in it since it's gonna be sitting in my house until it gets used.

Wasn't knocking its use as a bow or tone wood...I just know that it makes great fire wood. LOL

11. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I'm just saying the stuffs worth something. One bow stave might go for $100. Try getting some long, relatively straight pieces and selling them.

12. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Seriously?!?! I'm speechless! In that case, I've probably burned maybe a couple thousand dollars worth of wood in the last few years! :eek:

Wow, I wish I knew this earlier! So um...I'll go ahead and create a new thread for my next question.