Orange SS combo's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Daytona955i, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Anyone own or played either an Orange Crush 20b or 35b? What did you think? Anything you can compare it to as far as sound and volume?

I've got a big rig already, will one of these work as a good practice amp to jam with some guitar players or maybe play under an acoustic guitar?

2. I don't own one of these - but i hung around the Orange forum a while back. Those guys tend to think these amps are a little too quiet for jam sessions with multiple band members plugged in.
    With an acoustic - probably - might be a good idea to ask them at the Orange forum tho.
  3. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Ok, I looked around the Orange forum before I asked here, and I didn't really find much on them.

I really just need a practice amp for my dorm room and to take home with me so I can leave my big rig at our practice space all the time and still have something to practice on.

However, the 3 of us that play the stringed instruments plan on writing our songs together and if I have a practice amp that can be heard with two other small practice amps, then that makes that a lot easier.
  4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
  5. throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    I don't have any experience with the SS orange, so you may just want to ignore me... but sometimes a lack of information can be a warning.

Orange is known for tubes. If you want orange go all the way. The SS stuff if farmed out for manufacturing like all other low priced SS stuff... it just gets the orange tolex. A local music store deals with orange and I was chatting with an employee and he said he was not much impressed with the SS stuff by orange. He said that most people that buy it are getting it for the looks/name and little else.

I doubt it is garbage, but I doubt it will blow your socks off either.
  6. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    i saw one of these at the store yesterday and the dude actually told me to not even bother with it, said it was one of the worst sounding amps he's ever heard.
  7. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Well, as long as this thread has been brought back to life...

I went ahead and bought an Orange Crush 20b, cause I got a wicked good deal on it.

I really dig it, I really like how the gain stage was developed. When using a passive bass its clean almost to the top and it sounds fat for a SS amp, and with an active bass, damn it can be clean, gritty, or full out distorted and it all sounds pretty damn good for a 20 watt SS bass amp with a sealed 8 inch speaker.

I have played it under two acoustic guitars at an open mic night, and it can get pretty loud and I'm surprised at how full it does sound for what it is. I figured I would just have an orange amp with a headphone jack, but it really is an Orange amp, and I like it.

I also jam out with it to write songs with my guitar player and he has a small VOX amp and it works well for that.

I'd love to have a REAL Orange bass head, but I don't have that much money being in college and I already have a big amp that suits my needs. If Orange came out with a small tube combo... I might look to upgrade though.