1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orange Terror 500, Peavey VB-2, SVT 4 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sabbra Cadabra, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Sabbra Cadabra

Sabbra Cadabra

Aug 25, 2012
    Looking to get a new head and can't decide between the Orange Terror 500, Peavey VB-2, and the SVT 4 Pro. Playing original rock songs and just need tone that breaks up a little, no fuzz or metal tones. I've already bought an Ampeg 410 Classic that I will run one of these through and will add a 115 at a later date.

2. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm a big fan of the SVT-4, huge tone, punchy, and can handle different genre's/sounds nicely. That being said though, I own the Peavey VB-2 and nothing beats the sound of an all tube head pushing over 200 watts of pure balls. It gets the mild breakup you describe all the way to a deep rumbling growl. The overdrive channel is a bit troublesome at times, but IMO rolling off the mids a little (I know, insane when it comes to rock/heavy music...) makes it sound pretty nice. As I just sorta hinted at, It is a bit more mid focused than the SVT-4 and Ampeg stuff in general, but you won't have any issues of not being able to hear yourself. Pair it up with some quality speakers and it can move some serious air and ass! It kills with a 4x12 set up.

I can't speak about the Orange Terror, but you can't go wrong with Orange gear, love all their stuff.