1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange Terror Bass 500 Limiter and "pop": anybody get theirs working right?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theWilly, Jan 19, 2013.

1. theWilly

theWilly

Nov 14, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I just bought an Orange Terror Bass 500. I was offered a very cheap deal because there are known issues with this unit, I figured I'd take a gamble and see if I could get lucky with it.

The amp works fine for "bedroom" volumes. I took it to practice with my band and I experienced some problems. At what should be about half volume, when I dig in there is a "pop" sound then the volume cuts out for about a second.

I've tested it with both passive and active basses, the pad button on and off, at 2 different houses, and on 2 different cabs, and gain/volume knobs at various settings. I can recreate the problem reliably. It only becomes an issue at volumes approaching what is needed to keep up with a drummer and guitar amps.

The amp is currently not useful for playing with my band.
    Fortunately, it is useable for home practice....and as a bonus, it also sounds pretty cool playing a guitar through as well.

I've seen other threads where people have dealt with a limiter issue, though I haven't seen where anybody got theirs resolved. It also seemed like there wasn't always a "pop" associated with the limiter on theirs.

I've opened up the amp to look for possible cold soldering, loose wires, etc. I noticed that there are two green LEDs and when then amp cuts out one of the LEDs shuts off as well.

The amp is marked as a 120V model. I have a power conditioner with voltage LEDs, my power is usually between 118-122V. Has anybody tried using a voltage regulator? There is a reasonably cheap one at a local electronics store that can regulate 120V +/- 6%. I'm not sure if that would do it or not.

Sooo....anybody had this issue and found a fix?

Thank you

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Sounds like you have a faulty amp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    An amp tech is the answer.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Yes indeed. In your place I would send it back to Orange. There could be an update that needs to be installed.

5. theWilly

theWilly

Nov 14, 2011
    Dallas TX
    There is a certified Orange tech in town that I'll take it to. Unfortunately I'm the second owner and it is now out of warranty. I was just hoping to hear from someone who has had a similar issue with this amp and has successfully had their repaired.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

That's the problem when buying used especially when you buy an amp that you know has "issues". Let us know how this turns out.

7. theWilly

theWilly

Nov 14, 2011
    Dallas TX
    yep...for sure....fortunately i didn't pay much for it and its still useful for home....it'll be nice to get it up to spec so hopefully i can use it with the band...i'm getting tired of lugging the svt...eventually i'll trip and fall with it and either i'll break it or it will break me

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My BT500 does not pop.

9. theWilly

theWilly

Nov 14, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Old thread, I know, but I wanted to leave an update and congratulate Orange's customer service.

The issue is resolved. Orange customer service was great. Granted, they were difficult to get a hold of at first but I think they've expanded their US operations to handle more customer service volume. It took a while but once I got someone on the phone he was a nice guy and bent the rules a little for me. He took the head back as a warranty return even though it was out of warranty and I wasn't the original owner. So, they fixed it for free (I paid to ship there, they paid return) and now it works flawlessly. It took about 6 weeks from the day I sent it to them to the day it returned. It's a great little amp. I still lug the SVT to gigs, but this has become my practice rig and I wouldn't be feel at all bad gigging it if for some reason I didn't want to use the SVT.

10. Rickenbass

Rickenbass

Oct 14, 2013
    Awesome!! Glad Orange took care of you!

The TB500 is "stoopid loud"! i love the look of shock I get when the gui****s I play with think they have the upper hand with their mondo heads and 4x10 cabs. My entire rig weighs in at under 50 lbs and it's got more power than I think I'll ever need.

Sepp

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021