1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orange terror Bass 500 or Walkabout 15 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Foxkitchris, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Foxkitchris

Foxkitchris

Jul 28, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hello everyone!

In need of some advice or thoughts. Having played Ampeg classic SVT head and an 8x10 and 410 hlf for the last ten years, Im looking for a small rig to downsize to. I was thinking about the Orange terror bass 500 with a matching orange cab or the Mesa Boogie walkabout 15 combo. I have heard great things about both and im looking for that tube like/more old school thing than a small hi-fi modern amp. I figure If I ever need more power I could use either one of these with my 8x10 or 410HLF. Thanks for any feedback or recommends!

2. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    quite a different animal from the 500 - I liked it MUCH better. For the extra 100 bucks involved, why not double your power? And the sound AMAZING with a Bergantino cab - then you can do it ALL - hi-fi or vintage. With the orange cab, you're stuck with vintage.

Orange + Berg HT (or HD) 112(s) = a magical combination.

Cheers,
    Cameron

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Buy whichever head tickles you best (for me it's the Mesa), but just be aware that the Orange isbaric cabs are swaddled in marketspeak. The iso 212 is not louder than a 212, but simply allows the tuning of a good 112 in a smaller box (and compromises weight and cost to do so). Same deal for the other iso cabs. The isobaric concept is not new, but was abandoned by other companies long ago for the reasons described above. Both companies carry premium prices, but IMHO/IME the price of admission is more justified bt the Mesa. Just my .02
    Happy shopping.

4. :DChilis:D

:DChilis:D

Dec 23, 2006
    The Tiny Terror was incredible, buttery ooozeeey goodness.

5. The Terror's EQ is pretty much useless so if you don't like how it sounds there is not much you can do. The Mesa can get a lot more tones and to my ears sounds really similar to my vintage SVT (clean tone), but with the powerful EQ you can get any sound you want really.

6. astack

astack Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Ohh, this is a fun comparison I hadn't thought much about before...

+1 I'd be inclined to try the Orange 15" cab (non-iso) over the iso 10" and 12" based cabs. It's a darker sounding cab I've read, but the treble knob on the head can get things pretty crisp.

Having never actually played a WA, IIRC they do the SVT thing pretty well. I get the sense that Orange is more similar to Fender tube tone. (I could be way off here -- anybody else able to speak to this comparison?)

The EQ is simple and has the crazy Fender stack baked in scoop, yes. I would not call that useless, however, YMMV. Like any other piece of gear, if you understand it's operating principles, you can get great results.

Two great heads with a similar goal, but different operating principles/approaches. Not sure if the Orange head will ever match the WA in popularity, though. I'd love to sit down with both sometime :hyper: