Orange Terror Bass / Avatar cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sonicblue62, May 8, 2012.

1. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Hello everyone,
    I've recently been looking into these Orange heads and wanted to draw on the expertise of the group. My cab is an 8 ohm Avatar 212 neo (rated @ 500 watts). If I buy the 1000 watt terror bass, would that theoretically give me 500 watts going into one 8 ohm cab, or would I be much safer with the 500 watt version? My main reason for wanting the 1000 watt version is to get more clean headroom (although I think the 500 would likely be plenty loud for my purposes). I just don't want to blow anything up. :p
    Any help is appreciated.

2. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    The TB500 has an impedance selector switch for 500W into either 4 or 8 ohms. I think the 1000 has the same, though, for 1000W.

In terms of headroom, I think the 500 is plenty, even with my inefficient cab (93dB sens). The preamp does start to clip (great sounding, if that's what you want) without too much persuasion.

3. I'd just like to ask how you think the preamp overdriving sounds through cabs with a tweeter? I find that my rig with some OD sounds great through my Mesa cabs with the tweeters full off, but I find that my Avatar Neo 212 cab doesn't really like overdrive because the horn has to stay somewhat on all of the time.

4. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    IME, it's less than ideal. I'm also currently using a 2x12+T crossed over at 3.5kHz, and OD gets lost in the mix easily. I still like using it, but don't expect it to really cut :/

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021