1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange Terror Bass constantly vibrating and sliding off my cabinet.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbassnfiue, Apr 12, 2020.

1. bassbassnfiue

bassbassnfiue

Sep 22, 2016
    Hey folks I was wondering if any of you had a similar issue with your terror basses or lightweight bass heads? Im trying to figure out a solution to this problem without the use of unsightly bungee cords or ratchet straps.
    How can I get my amp to stay in place and not slide right off the 8x10 to its death?
    Could it be an issue with the cab that its vibrating so much? Its a cheaper acoustic 8x10 so could the construction of the cab be why its vibrating so much?
    Any help is appreciated!

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's a poorly designed cab that vibrates enough to shake an amp off.
    I'd suggest you not put the head on the cabinet, the shaking over time could cause stress on the amp components.

Recommendations for foam pads will come along, but you don't need an expensive ones.

3. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Those kitchen drawer sticky things (liners), that you can take in and out work well.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My Terror Bass used to walk around on my cabs too (OBC112’s). It’s the only lightweight head I’ve owned that had that problem.

5. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Large mouse pads work fine and are pretty inexpensive.

jdwinva likes this.
  6. It is your cab being poorly braced, a rubber mat should help.

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I was just about to suggest that.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  8. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    You guys all jump to poor bracing. It could be the floor. It could be just loud.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Velcro?

HardNHeavy, drumvsbass and Aqualung60 like this.
  10. I use a towel between the Terror Bass and my OBC112s. Works fine so far, but I'm considering putting the amp next to the cabs rather than on top of them. Just to be on the safe side.

superbassman44 likes this.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Together with me ! "you need a high pass filter !"

bassfran, agedhorse and lug like this.
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    A HPF would take care of that vibrating cab

Maybe try some padding under the cab(disconnect it from the stage) and possibly add some some additional internal bracing.:thumbsup:

Aqualung60 likes this.
  13. I use a Broughton HPF, but to stop the Terror Bass from vibrating off the two 112s, I need to dial it in way too high. I wonder whether it’s an issue with the amp's feet or dimensions? Other small and light-weight amps I tried with the same cabs don't show the problem as much. The towel seems to work, though.

Addendum – I’m talking very high volumes here, like 120 dB(a) at 2m and the like. At practice room volumes, the amp stays put without the towel.

dkelley likes this.
  14. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Any reason why you don't just put it on the floor beside the cabs?

15. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
  16. one of several reasons i sold mine

17. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Just get this stuff. I might even have some here I could give you. They sell it everywhere. This happens when you have a lightweight amp and play loud. Even the DG amp I have which isn't that lightweight moves around if I play really loud. Premium Grip Almond Shelf Liner (Set of 6)

Matt R. likes this.
  18. hennessybass

hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    Easy to jump to poor cab bracing, or HPF, or what ever. Sometimes it's just a combo of a bunch of little things. I have a really nice cab and one particular amp that would slide. Had many other amps, including smaller / lighter ones that did not slide.

I didn't want to carry an extra thing as part of my rig (foam, rubber pad, or what ever), so I put stick on gripper feet on the amp. Problem solved, and never had to think about it again, and didn't have an extra thing to keep track of. Purchased at Lowe's for a few bucks. Didn't leave any sticky residue either.

Make sure you get the right size... I didn't, but just trimmed em.

Depending on your amp, you might change to a different style of foot, or stick some pads on your existing feet.

bMj2uZuPAGctH_OOwBGF6Q6wMy8vhFowCPi4SpU6vapvdo8RPzcIBjXZ8WwCTqgyBHBgJ-o1AyZdVhLUIvw=w483-h643-no.jpg

XJrvaDoLAZjep8LkhJ-iN5Nsfh-20d6FVE5lNS-oAlrYKY3gB-_av-YRnWZY7vbjSz8P13-rzv23Fjuyjwg=w483-h643-no.jpg

19. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    The gripper feet thing is also a good idea. I would say this regarding the internal bracing of an Orange cab, there is no way it is not sufficiently braced. Orange cabs are if anything over the top in their amount of bracing and overly constructed. They pay for this with weight. The tolex is likely slippery.

Also, no one should ever use a HPF to stop their amp head from moving. That is absurd. If your amp sound the way you like it and there is no problem with the extended low shelf then leave it. If it sounds boomy and you don't like it, a HPF might be recommended, but not because your lightweight amp head moves around.

20. I don't have a head vibrating problem but I carry my Carvin BX500s in a foam lined case for transport. I pull a couple of pieces of loose foam out to set the head on as a sort of shock-absorber for the gig while I'm playing. It's a simple solution for a non-problem. It would work well for your problem.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021