Orange Terror Bass DI Advice.. Too Hot!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ginsly, Dec 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    I've had an Orange Terror Bass 500 for around 5 years, and I really love it. The only real issue I've had is that the Gain knob seems to be tied to the output level on the DI, and sound engineers are always telling me it's too hot.. I really don't want to have to turn down the Gain from noon, as I like the way it sounds at that setting. I've heard that Orange corrected that problem with future TBs, but I'm not sure if they will fix mine (going to call tomorrow). It seems like they might, though.

The real issue is that I have a gig on 12/30, and I can't see any way I'll have my head back by then, even if I sent it out tomorrow. In the meantime, if I have to wait until next year to have it fixed is there something I can do at my 12/30 show to remedy this temporarily? Some sort of attenuator maybe? I don't have a lot of cash to spend on something like that, but the 12/30 show is being recorded from the board and I'm afraid my bass is going to sound terrible if I don't figure something out.. They always gripe about micing the cab, but that might have to be how it goes.. I'd REALLY appreciate some advice. Cheers!

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  3. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Haha.. yep, usually the better sound engineers find a way around it, but I have to deal with a wide array of sound guys! Thanks for the link, that might help a lot - so a 20 db attenuator should do the trick? It's funny, the link says it's a 20db pad, but it says -40 on the unit in the picture - just a mistake, I'm sure.. Thanks again!

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    They make them 10, 20, and 40. A 10 is probably enough but a 20 is for sure :) .

5. You can stack them for added attenuation. 2 10's give you twenty.
    A 10 and a 20 gives you 30... and so on.
    So if you buy two, get a 10 and a 20.
    That gives you three different atten. levels.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Those in line attenuators are cool! Didnt know such a thing existed.

When I am recording the hot DI from my head I have been using a Presonus Mic Pre with a -28dB cut (something like that).

7. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Thanks everybody! I talked to Orange today, and they're going to talk to a tech and get back to me tomorrow. In the meantime, an in-line attenuator is looking like a good bet!

8. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Why not just rock your effects up front and use the effects send instead of the DI?

superheavyfunk likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021