1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orange Terror Bass suitable for Jazz?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeremy Morgan, Jul 26, 2012.

1. I am considering one of these to replace my Markbass LMK. Probably the 500W version as don't need extreme volume.

I'm looking for vintage tubey warmth with maybe a touch of drive. Have read many good reviews, but not clear if they only apply when the head is used for rock/metal (more overdriven tones).

So, how versatile is this head? Does it sound good if used fairly clean?

Would the Markbass Little Mark Tube be a more versatile unit?

Thanks for your comments!

2. One of the things that has put me off these heads is reports of fan noise. I imagine this could be quite important in a jazz setting.

You should actually consider an RH450. I know they're not too popular around here just now but the versatility of the pre section and ability to store presets could be really good for you.

3. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    i thought the terror had a ton of gain on it? super crunchy when turned up loud?

4. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    This is what I heard too. In certain settings you might not be able to tame the crunchiness to SJAL ("Standard Jazz Acceptable Level," it's a real science thing trust me)

I don't know what settings you'll be playing in, but a low wattage tube amp with a nice efficient cab could do the job

5. JB36

JB36 Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    I owned one for a bit and I thought it had great clean tone and it gets dirty, but I found the EQ was limited. Older model Genz 6.0 and 9.0 are priced well these days.

6. Yes, fan noise would be a consideration as I do Musical Theatre fairly regularly so a screaming fan during dialogue sections would definitely get me some disparaging looks from the 'acoustic' players and MD!

I have looked at the RH450. It and the Terror Bass seem to be almost opposite ends of the spectrum. The features and flexibility of the RH450 are in many ways very appealing, and if the Tubetone feature works well could be a very versatile unit.

However, the funny thing is, the last few years my setup has become simpler. When I play electric, I normally only play a P-Bass with Thomastik Flats. I get different tones using just how or where I pluck with my right hand or whether I use a pick or not. I have taken to using a felt mute under the strings.

With only volume and tone controls (no pickup blend as single pickup), the simplicity is actually quite liberating - I spend more time playing rather than tweaking EQ and pickup blend etc. etc.

Using a simple amp like the Terror Bass with minimal controls would seem to extend the 'keep things simple' philosophy.

I'm not a technophobe by any means & would have no trouble working an RH450, but I would be concerned about loosing the 'plug and play' simplicity & getting into drawn into endless knob twisting!

7. I have read that the gain can be tamed if necessary by swapping one or both of the preamp tubes for lower gain 12AX7, 5751, or 12AT7 tubes.

8. Not trying to sell you on the TC .... but..... The beautiful thing about the TC is that once you do your knob twiddling at home, you access the settings with the footswitch. Having the mute, tuner, compression & tubetone at your feet was a VERY hard thing to let go of. I had to sell mine as it didn't deliver the massive reggae bass tones I need in my ska/rocksteady band.

An Ampeg PF500 could be a good option too.

9. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    why tame it?! the orange terror sounds great with all the grit. at least for the music i like :)

10. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    How about letting a little Genz Benz into your life? Isn't the streamliner reknown for being tubey? I haven't had the pleasure. I'm looking at a GK mb fusion 500. They can go fairly grindy but seem to be able for a bunch of good tones. Including sweet deep tones!

How about fender? or............ Hartke. The LH500 and 1000 have a lot of fans :D

There are a lot of well loved heads these days... enjoy your exploring and go be awsome! (you play bass, it's pretty much inevitable!).