1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange Terror Bass ***???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapstick13, Dec 6, 2011.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Got a refurbished Orange Terror Bass 500 a few weeks ago from 'geartree.com, who are not an authorized dealer. Amp ruled for the couple weeks, then stopped working last night. Would not come out of standby, no sound, nothing. Talked to an Orange rep(who was pretty damn rude to me) and he said Im not covered under the warranty. He said there has been lots of problems with these heads. Anyone have the same problem? I was only able to find 1 thread on Talkbass about problems with this head. Not a happy customer!

2. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    How did you pay for it ? Credit or PayPal I hope ? File a complaint ?

3. I the same problem last Spring... turned out to be a bad preamp tube. Worked great after replacing tube.

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Sorry to hear that man, exactly the reason why I didn't pull the plug on one. Loved the sound of it, but read way too many problems about it "misteriously not working all of a sudden". It's a damn shame about the warranty, not sure what to suggest except finding a tech.

5. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    I had the same amp about a year ago. I actually had two as I like a backup rig of the same making. So two terrors and 3 orange cabs....one stopped working after 3 months and the customer service was horrible...sold every piece or Orange gear I had and try tell everyone not to buy their stuff.

Switched to all Ashdown gear and its great, reliable, and the customer service rules :)

6. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    From there website:
    At GearTree, we want you to be 100% satisfied with your shopping experience and your gear. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, we allow you the option to return most products for credit, exchange or refund within 30 days of purchase (extended until January 10th for the early purchase of Holiday gifts - beginning November 1st).

I'd try and return it.

7. Hi.

There's Your problem.

I'm not surprised about the manufacturers or their reps attitude, why would they care? They recieve hundreds of similar calls as the early production lemons keep on circulating, thanks to on-line market.

Sucks for the customer, and creates some distrust towards the imaginary brand, but there will still be thousands of customers who think they're buying something that even remotely resembles the vintage Orange gear. The appearance aside, of course.

You might get a tech to look at it, or it might be something as simple as a pre-tube which is a DIY swap. If it's a problem associated with the class D power amp, You're SOL.

Regards
    Sam

8. I bought an Orange TT bass as soon as they came out. It's had lots of use in bars,at festivals, and at practice with zero problems. I bought it through an authorized Orange dealer just in case there was a problem with early production models. It helps to have a dealer as first contact with any gear.

9. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I ended up being covered under warranty. Called the orange rep from my area. He gave me an email address for the return people. I think theyre used to these amps coming back. But he sent me a ups label for shipping it back and said theyd just send me another refirbished one. I guess thats probably better than brand new at this point since the 'new' ones end up going back to orange anyway. Oh well.