1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange vs Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tube, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Tube

Tube

Oct 9, 2009
    Sicily
    Hello guys. I wanted to have some advice before buying a head in class D. I am curious about two heads. Orange Terror Bass 2018/2019 and Mesa Boogie Subway D800. which one would you choose?

2. I have tried both, and the Orange Terror was the winner for me... probably because it sounded closest to my Oragne AD200B (which its designed to do)

3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Do you play one particular genre more than others?

4. Tube

Tube

Oct 9, 2009
    Sicily
    Swing / Blus / Jazz

AstroSonic likes this.
  5. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    It is really going to come down to which baked in character you prefer, and which form factor works best for you.
    If you want that Orange bass tone, everything I've read says the TB has it. It also has a tube pre, which may or may not be something you want.
    The Mesa class D is all SS and a little more modern sounding. It isn't scooped, or super bright. The EQ is flexible and I find it to be very useful.
    My opinion on these is a hair biased. I'm not into vintage tones at all. I personally haven't had a lot of luck getting a tone I want out of Orange bass gear. Also, for me, the design is less useful. My Mesa fits in a shoulder bag. I can carry my amp, pedal board, backpack o stuff, bass and can all in one trip. The lunch box design of the Terror series wouldn't work for me.
    I think the Mesa might be a tad cheaper.

6. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    If the tube pre is something you like, look at the Mesa WD-800. And then end your search...

7. I own the Terror Bass 500 (new one) and an AD200 MkIII and absolutely love them both (they are kinda the same tone).

That being said with what you say you play I'd probably go with the Mesa. I love my Orange amps but I also play Post-Hardcore primarily and dig the easy break up tone I get with them.

oZZma likes this.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I briefly owned a D800, a couple years ago, and after taking one home to demo against my Super Bassman 300, just ordered a new Terror Bass head and two OBC112 cabs. So I guess you know where my vote goes.

EatS1stBassist and Wicked G like this.
  9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It would be best if you could audition the amps. Of course this is probably not realistic, so try to listen to as many demos as you can.

I am sure both are fabulous amps and I doubt either can be made to sound exactly like the other. The Mesa has a more flexible EQ, but that won't do you a lot of good if you prefer to the tone of the Orange.

If it came down to buying a Mesa, I would save up to get either the D800+ or WD800. I am most interested in the WD800 as it has a very powerful and flexible EQ section.

I own an Orange AD200B which shares the same front end as the series 1 Terror Bass amps. I think it sounds a lot like a vintage Fender Showman when dialed in for clean tones. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for the music genres you listed, unless I was playing string bass. String bass definitely needs a more flexible EQ.

EatS1stBassist and BassikBrad like this.
  10. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    I was saving up to buy a Mesa WD800 when I started hearing about the new Orange Terror Bass 500 and decided to give that try and get the WD800 a little later. Excellent decision as the Orange sounds excellent and totally gives me the feeling of a tube amp. I love that thing. Thick, vintage, authoritative tone which makes the D and G strings sound commanding.

I still kind of think about getting the WD800, but I'm not in a hurry as the Orange is just perfect for me. The only way to know what is best for you is to give them both a try if you can.

Wasnex likes this.
  11. Tube

Tube

Oct 9, 2009
    Sicily
    I have several tubes amps, including the Mesa Boogie 400 and the Orange AD200MKII etc... . and I love them both. I decided to buy a new head in class D to facilitate transport and to be safer. Currently I have tried the Ampeg pf500

12. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Orange if you want the tubey Orange sound. Mesa if you don't.

Wicked G and EatS1stBassist like this.
  13. I dig the orange I've been really close to pulling the trigger on one. But I had the chance to sit down with the Mesa and it definitely earns it's hype. I was very surprised at how amazing it was. Honestly seeing what amps you have now, I would consider a darkglass microtubes, I love mine. Super flexible preamp and has the b3k and vintage microtubes circuits built into the head that can be controlled via footswitch or blended with the clean tone. That amp with get you the modern grunt of a Mesa and the vintage vibe of the orange on top of the great preamp with all the bells and whistles. I have a m900 version one. It's been flawless, I believe it's going on 4 years now that I've had it.

14. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    The Darkglass amps are really sweet. I found I could get a gritty gk tone, super clean or pretty dang dirty.

EatS1stBassist likes this.