Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

orange-y

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dom Wannabe, May 20, 2004.

1. Dom Wannabe

Dom Wannabe

May 17, 2004
    whats up with orange amps? good bad ugly.....whatever. just somethin. :eyebrow:

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've always wanted one....

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    expensive and fairly rare. I want one as well and Ive never even heard one

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Orange amps are really cool. The older ones are especially cool, if you're into that vintagey tube thing. They're a lot like Marshalls for the most part, except with simpler controls. I don't know much about the new ones, the one I played at the local bass store recently sounded pretty good but it's the only one I've played. The older ones do have some serious collector's value if you can find one in good condition.

5. They have great wallpaper for your computer screen too :D

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The current 200W bassamp is superb. Point-to-point wired. Just warm alltube sound. And lots of it. :cool:

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I haven't ever played bass through one, but the 15 watt 1x12 all tube is an awesome guitar amp for recording. I used one about a month ago and it absolutely smoked my DSL-401 - which is now on consignment. I'm torn between adding another Vox AC15 (for sereo) or the Orange. I'm going to do an AB on my existing vox with the Orange after a bit and make the call. Honestly I couldn't get a bad sound out of the Orange with my standard Tele. I need to see what Humbuckers will do though. What a smokin little amp!

Can the 200 watt Tube amp do clean and loud ?

8. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Yeah, I had the opportuninty to use the Orange 200 watt bass amp through two orange cabs in Akron. It was definatley ready to dish out very good tube sound. One dude on here said that he bought one a month or so ago, but he never got back with all of us who were waiting in anticipation for his review as an owner.

9. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    holy crap there expensive though. i just checkout a dealers site that carries orange amps in CA. man the AD200 head is over 1800 bucks. not to mention a 4x10 cab was 950, and the 1x15 cab 700. wowzers though, you gotta be laoded to buy orange amps. i've never heard a bass amp though by orange. theres a band i know where the guitarist uses a orange head and plays out of 2 4x12 orange cabs and it sounds awesome.

10. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    The heads look quite appealing, but I've never seen a bass cab. I believe the bass player from the band mewithouYou uses the head... if that does anything for you.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've seen someone play through the 200-watt model through an Ampeg 4x10HLF, I believe it was, though a MIA J-bass, and it was a pretty solid tone. Definitely that tube/somewhat vintage sound if you're after it. Sorta Ampeg-like, but a little bit more clean.

12. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I wonder if the bass head would be like an old marshall major? Man, I really want one of those.

Dig the looks. May just pick up a cab because I'm vain.

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Geezer Butler used an Orange amp for the paranoid video. I don't know if he ever used them for recording/performances but I'm guessing he did at some point.

14. Matt (or Mikey?) from Weezer used a Orange Matamp or ADB200 a lot, you can hear it on Say It Aint So really well. He used a Mexican Jazz Bass with Schecter pickups through an Ampeg 810.