1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orchestra Auditions!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by IMakeMusic, Oct 3, 2013.

1. IMakeMusic

IMakeMusic

Jul 7, 2011
    So I've got THREE auditions coming up in the next month or so ad I just wondered if anyone had any tips! The orchstras I'm applying for are the Hale Youth Orchestra, Liverpool Ohilharmonic Youth Orchestra and the National Youth Orchestra of Wales.

I'm playing the Aria from Verdi's opera, Rigoletti and a Beethoven Sonatina for the two contrasting pieces :)

I don't think I get nervous in exams/auditions...

2. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Tips? Don't mess up I guess.

3. BRamos

BRamos

Mar 12, 2012
    Listen to recordings and have the music in your head to the extent that you can imagine yourself playing with the orchestra when playing your own part.
    Also, make sure contrasts really contrast: soft is much different than loud; short (staccato) is very different than long, etc. Attending to those details will also make you more aware of fundamentals like pitch and rhythm.

4. Fez1

Fez1

Jan 8, 2012
    Details matter, but above all it is important to establish your dominance over the committee. You will need to intimidate them in some way and if you are not yet able to do that with your playing alone you will need to get creative.