Orchestra or Strings type effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by A Rock, Mar 30, 2002.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    im looking for an effects pedal for my guitarist so he can sound like a string ensemble.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Zzounds was selling the old Roland VG8 and the GR-03 at a pretty good discount the last time I checked. Those things are the Swiss army knives of guitar effects, but they may be overkill. Both have been replaced by the more expensive VG88 and GR33, respectively.

Cheaper solution: just get a volume pedal and a compression-sustain pedal. (An ebow lets you create infinite sustain effects, but only on one string.)
  3. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    my pedal has a patch that is supposed to make your bass sound like a violin, I will save the dude who claims not to be geddy lee the trouble.

IT IT BAD!!

Yeah, it is the ZOOM BFX 708, and it does have it's faults!!
  4. hehe thanx...
    anyway check out the roland synth units... im pretty sure thats whats used by King Crimson and by the new DVD i just bought it makes them sound like nearly anything they want including a very realistic sounding sting ensemble.
  5. I purchased the KC DVD a few months ago....I love watching them play live....they're amazing.
  6. switching the angles midsong is great too. more bands should release more high quality dvds like this one.
  7. A swell flanger is a cheaper method of getting that effect...
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what's a "swell" flanger?

is it like a slow sweeping flange or a volume swell or what?
  9. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I think bigfeet means "a really nice" flanger. Sorry... it was there. But anyway,for a nice string section sound(other than midi), a pitch shifter with controls for intervals is nice. I have the Alesis Wedge unit, which has multi-effects including pitch shift(mix your original note with a 3rd, 5th, 7th, and octave...whoa). My four string can sound like a twelve. Flavor it with a touch of chorus, and instant chamber orchestra! It would probably even track better with guitar.
  10. No, a swell flanger is a flanger that uses an envelope to create volume swells on top of the flanger... Using an ab box leading one signal into an auto volume device (like the guya tone one) and the other clean into a flanger or chorus effect will get a great orchestra like effect.
  11. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    So, you run the pitch shift into the swell flanger...that gives you the multiple pitches of a string section plus the actual envelopes a violin or cello would produce...and Voila`(or viola...argh!) string section! That would be swell.
  12. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    i bought the fun lovin criminals dvd at the wekend, that is a good dvd
  13. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Our guitarist uses an auto volume swell effect from the line 6 delay, and a boss harmonist to achive this sound. It's a dead ringer for the synth pad/string sound your looking for.