1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

orchestra pit monitoring

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by PlayMoreBass, Mar 22, 2009.

1. So I'm going to be playing the bass in a community theater production. The show's producer wants me to have an amp for monitoring purposes. All I have at the moment is a tiny, I mean TINY, 10 watt practice amp. Now, he says that if I don't think I've got the gear, that he can get me an amp, but budgets being tight, it would be great if I could provide for myself.

I've never done theater before, so I don't feel like I can accurately predict what the performance environment will be like and what I need from a monitor and so on. By the way, the show is "Tick, Tick...Boom," which is just performed by a rock 4 piece.

Do you think that my amp would be sufficient?

2. BR Audio

BR Audio Guest

Apr 13, 2006
    Hard to know, It will really depend on how loud the other instruments will be and how close to them you will be.
    I'd say go for a small GK combo or similar.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

take care
    Gil

3. How is the rest of the audio being done for the show? It's the band/cast being mic'd at all, or are you plugging in direct to some sort of sound system? I've done a lot of theatre shows, and they can vary quite a bit volume-wise. If you're plugging into a sound system and just need a way to hear yourself on stage, then maybe you could just use a little headphone amp (or maybe your amp has a headphone out?). It all depends on the specifics of the production though. Hard to say.

4. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Nah, get an amp. The rest of the band needs to hear you, too.

A bass on its own is pretty much only half an instrument, the other half being your amp.

5. Yeah, so I'll be going directly into the theater's sound system, as will the rest of the band. I don't know for certain what the situation will be for the actors, but I assume that they would also be going through the PA.

So what I didn't make clear before is that I am in the position of choosing to use my 10-watt practice amp as a monitor (which others could hear) or finding another amp, at the theater's inconvenience and expense. I have a headphone amp that I would be happy to use, but again, it is the case of having others be able to hear me. And so now I understand that that is the case, and that probably, with keys, drums, and a geetar to compete with, no matter how close we all are, my puny little combo will simply be no match for them.

6. wilsonn

wilsonn

Sep 26, 2005
    New York
    i would rent a little combo from a local music store. i've got a place that does that. bet there's one near you.