1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orchestral Personalities

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by bejoyous, Apr 21, 2006.

1. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    If you've heard Garisson Keiler's Young Luthern's guide to the Orchestra" you've probably noticed that certain players of certain instrument usually have a personality trait.

What have you noticed?

2. HumanClay

HumanClay

Dec 19, 2005
    Australia
    huge ego trumpet players!

3. Violinists tend to be very competitive.

4. Bass players tend to be very inebriated.

5. HumanClay

HumanClay

Dec 19, 2005
    Australia
    cellists are often very meloncholy

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Is that getting depressed by eating too many melons!!?? ;)

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    :D

8. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    There were a pair of sisters in my high school who played the harp- we called them the Harp Sisters. One played the cello, too. Very popular, they were. And anyone who's played in an orchestra knows what they say about these two instruments....

9. Lutheran

10. I notice first violins are preppy/hot/cool happy people, soconds are quiet trying not to get noticed. Violas are stuck up around other violist and cello's are focust/sad and basses are laid back show offs. If that makes sense.

11. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Violins are obsessive-compulsive.
    Violas are usually geniuses.
    Cellos are about as snooty as violinsts, but share some bass-like behavior qualities outside of rehearsal.
    Basses are typically pranksters.

12. lol true

13. IME, violists have less self-confidence.

And girl bass players, while there is nothing wrong at all (don't get offended for me even thinking that way, ok?), but IME have a distasteful dominant personality.

Guy violin players tend to be like guy trumpet players, full of confidence and ego, while girl violin players tend to be observant and more reserved IME.

14. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I could give you a couple of strong counter examples, but not without inviting a libel suit ;-)

Violin soloists all tend to be rather self-posessed. First violins can be a bit smug. Second violins are either relaxed, self assured people, or full of anxiety and doubt about not being first violinists. Violists know they could be violinists if they really wanted to.

It's often said that a string quartet is composed of a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and a person who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers.

15. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    That wasn't very nice. YOU BETTER APOLOGIZE OR I'LL MAKE YOU APOLOGIZE!! j/k. :D

we're not all so bad. Maybe we feel like we have to compensate for our lack of burly machoness.

16. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    This could be taken the wrong way, but most female bass players I have seen were offensively attractive and annoyingly good. I think we need more. No body really has more bottem end than a lady:)

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You started off so well...

18. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    My apologies. The door opened. I am always learning about discretion.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Isn't there a parable about a war being started due to a misplaced comma?