Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Order of "Brightness"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Williamsburg Jim, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Williamsburg Jim

Williamsburg Jim

Mar 5, 2000
    Would I be correct in assuming the following order of brightness, rounds being the brightest?

Roundwound
    Groundwound
    Halfwound
    Flatround
    Tapewound
    And I suppose Elixer's fit in there somewhere?

I'm thinking about trying some groundwound's.

2. Bassmouse85

Bassmouse85

Jul 10, 2000
    Correct me if I am wrong( being not the expert myself) I belive flat and tape wound are the same.

3. Consider yourself corrected [​IMG]

Tapewounds actually have a thin (polyester?) tape over the cover windings. Usually they are slicker than greased owl manure and have a neat black finish. They are a very dark, thumpy, sounding string and usually work well with Precision style basses for a true vintage type sound.

4. Williamsburg Jim

Williamsburg Jim

Mar 5, 2000
    Just as sort of an update for those like myself (unlearn-ed types)on strings, I read that pressure wounds and ground wounds are very similar to half-wounds. My intent was to get a 'tighter' string without losing brightness. Halves and flats don't have the sound or feel that I like. And I prefer the nickel also...

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What are you using them on, Jim? On my fretless I was quite surprised at how well some Ken Smith Burner Nickel rounds worked out. I've tried pressure wound, ground round, etc. the Burners gave me exactly the sound and versatility I wanted. Exactly [​IMG]

6. Williamsburg Jim

Williamsburg Jim

Mar 5, 2000
    Hi Brad! I'm using them on my Tobias Classic 5. Believe it or not, I'm actually using Ken Smith Rock Master lights on that bass. But they are stainless and not nickel, like I prefer. Nor are they taper core. I don't know, I ordered a set of 8255 Fender lights with taper(s), and nickel, however, I'm still not sure that taper's alone will tighten up my overall 'action' (not to mention my B).

I don't want a heavy string(s) nor do I want halves or flats on that bass (as an alternate method used for tighter string tension). Does any of that make sense [​IMG] Just another ongoing saga I quess... .

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jim, strings are like voodoo to me. Even after all these years I know what I like but am still not sure why they work the way they do.

I'm using the Smith Burners on my Zon, but so far the best sound I've gotten on my old Tobiases is Martin Darco Nickel roundwounds! Kind of funny because I keep reading about how crappy they sound [​IMG]

I would think going with a bigger gauge of the same string might tighten things up but...

Last week I put the lighter gauge .128 - .40 Lakland strings on my 55-94. Not only did they give me excellent "push back" for fingerstyle, they're a dream for slap. I expected them to be at least slightly floppier than the .128-45's (which aren't floppy at all) but they sound and feel great. They're extra long scale so I don't think they'd work on your Tobias.

Keep in mind though, I play pretty light but hard, if that makes sense [​IMG]

Nice to see ya around, Jim.

8. Williamsburg Jim

Williamsburg Jim

Mar 5, 2000
    Thanks Brad!

My final thought on this is that in my experience (particularly w/stock Fender 5 strings) using the taper core's are the way to go. I'm finding more and more that most string manufacturers are moving in that direction, with both B & E.

I hate when I have a brain fade (which tends to happen a lot [​IMG] )and about half way up the neck, the B slides off the end of the fretboard. I hate it when that happens [​IMG]

9. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Williamsburg Jim:
    Would I be correct in assuming the following order of brightness, rounds being the brightest?

Roundwound
    Groundwound
    Halfwound
    Flatround
    Tapewound
    And I suppose Elixer's fit in there somewhere?

I'm thinking about trying some groundwound's.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget about the Pressurewounds (somewhere between roundwounds and halfwounds) [​IMG]