Order of Dirt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bholder, Nov 28, 2021.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No, not a place for the chaos knights who champion messiness, but instead another boring effects order question. I've been delving into the world of dirt and could use some general advice. Have a bunch of pedals I'd like to use together, what's best, softer overdrive before harder distortion or after?

Here's the order I have right now:
    1. EHX Soul Preacher comp
    2. Joyo King of Kings od
    3. EHX Soul Food od
    4. EHX Operation Overlord od
    5. EHX Big Muff Pi Deluxe fuzz
    Is that a good order?? Other suggestions? I've got modulation and such after this dirt block.

My dirty bed lol:

20211128_141218.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. Some people run Overdrive in order from lowest gain to high gain with success. Really depends on the pedals and how well they play with each other.

I have a fuzzrocous lil fella that I use for medium gain distortion but it plays better in front of my barbershop then after it so in my case I’m running my gain stages backwards.

Bottom line is experiment. Try them both ways and see what you like.

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Seems to work.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Experimentation is the key here. If it were me, I would play with each pedal individually and learn what they can do. Then combine two of them and see what happens. Do every combination of two you can and see what works well. I am not sure what you want to achieve tone wise and it's best to do it YOUR way. This is also heavily dependent on the bass you are using. I know my active Spector 5 string will sound like utter madness with two OD pedals combined.

Lastly, the Compressor first is a good idea. It keeps the signal consistent and dist/OD pedals will work better with that.

5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah I'm not sure I would really use multiple dirt pedals concurrently in practice. But want to be able to mix and match flavors. Even if it is just bedroom practice experimentation.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  6. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Do you keep any of the dirt pedals on at all times?

If you do and keep the compressor on, I'd start with compressor, main/always on dirt next, then whatever pedals after. That way you can boost and tweak your main sound from there.

7. You have too many overdrives.

8. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I have nothing useful to add, but I was hoping you would at least nod in this direction. Hope sustained :D

scottfeldstein and bholder like this.
  9. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Try running the Muff into one of your ODs that takes stacking gain well. Muffs (a lot of fuzzes, honestly) really like to feed into an already dirty signal.

10. RJ

RJ Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Some folks really like the sound of an overdrive after muffs. You get the Muffs break up and can re-eq it with a different drive pedals tone stack.

I’ve always preferred the sound of a low gain boost into A Muff.

A perfect instance of what works well for some might not be right for you.

Gearhead17 and Iristone like this.
  11. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    What I really like is fuzz into a dirty amp/preamp. I think dry fuzz sounds like garbage, especially muffs (which I'm not fond of, to begin with).

I also acknowledge my way is not the objectively correct way.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    bholder, Iristone and RJ like this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, but they all sound different and I can't choose! hehe Actually, if I had to narrow it down to just one, it'd be the King of Kings. Really something.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    The other thing I've been experimenting with is putting 2 overdrives in parallel rather than series - really thickens up the sound.

40Hz likes this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Based purely on my own experiences and experiments, going from mildest to strongest seems to be the most useful order. At least for me.

So:
    1. Boost
    2. Overdrive
    3. Distortion
    4. Fuzz
    But I’m not a big fan of distortion. I prefer the edge breakup you get with the so-called ‘natural’ overdrives because they respond so well to your playing dynamics. Distortion tends to be more of an on or off thing. So I don’t use distortion effects very much. If I want something dirtier I’ll just cascade a boost into an overdrive. Or use two ODs.

Pete Thorn did a nice video on natural overdrives you might want to check out:

The Electric Lamb is another really sweet edge or natural OD:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    bholder likes this.
  15. allintime

allintime

Apr 10, 2018
    Virginia
    So you like the king of kings? How well does it work on bass? I was thinking of getting it for guitar, or the joyo klon clone.

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I like it a lot, actually, very smooth, but so far I've only tried it with guitar, to be honest - I'll try it with bass today. It doesn't have a clean signal blend like the Operation Overlord does though (useful for retaining bass freqs).

allintime likes this.
  17. gitarrenhai

gitarrenhai

Aug 19, 2019
    upload_2021-11-29_14-22-1.png

bholder and Riff Ranger like this.
  18. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

I like mine wild to mild, but do note that the only dirt pedals I will stack are muff into overdrive, which is mentioned above. The rest are merely just filling in the slots of the spectrum as closely as their shapes allow them to in order to fit on my board

19. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Website and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I like Overdrive into Muff. It adds the mids and punch that the Muff lacks and lets the muff add the wider tonal feel that the overdrive lacks.

20. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    people love formulas..

and in this case, perhaps there is an argument for going in order of gain from low to high. that certainly can work.

but each drive is unique to some extent, and really this does warrant experimentation. the formula is unlikely to work for most people.

if i had that many drives i'd really go nuts and use an LS-2 to have even more options.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022