Order of Dirt

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bholder, Nov 28, 2021.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Website and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Yeah, go with the typical order and then use your ears to switch things in and out to see what really works best for your setup. I know that I've found a few surprises along the way that don't really make any sense mathematically, but make sense to my ears.

groooooove likes this.
  2. OldShark

OldShark

Apr 18, 2021
    Germany
    If using several overdrives and modulation effects, I would also try to use overdrive after modulation...

3. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I think it looks perfect just like that, I wouldn't change a thing. You're welcome.

bholder likes this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I think an OD into a muff sounds good, it also sounds good the other way. It depends if you are using the OD as a boost or just as another layer of dirt. It's really subjective so experiment.

bholder likes this.
  5. SunByrne

SunByrne trained monkey Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Just to throw in a curveball, I like fuzz before compression. Most fuzzes are really responsive to changes in playing dynamics, and so whenever I had a fuzz on, I would just turn the compressor off. This is fine sometimes, but now I find that I often still like a little compression in there somewhere, so I've started just putting the fuzzes first, then the compression, then OD/distortion, then modulation. Oh, and the octave pedal at the beginning, before the fuzzes.

Obviously, YMMV. For me, half the fun of pedals is just trying stuff out to see what works, and there's not always good logic to it. Rules like "always do X before Y" are just made to be broken.

bholder likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sure, but hearing other's opinions and ideas and explanations always helps. More things to try.

RJ likes this.
  7. I like trying different orders of dirt to see what will happen, some combinations are magic and others are simply rubbish there is no way to know until you try. I like feeding a fuzz like my Austone Fuzz Nutz TexTone into a crunchy overdrive like a DanElectro DaddyO into a warm amp - that combo is just on the verge of feedback if you get all the gains right and just a touch of the body or headstock to the cabinet can set it off or a bit more boost from the TC Spark mini will have it singing.

8. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    So, not what you asked... But you should try interspersing dirt and mod/wah pedals. I used to run all dirts into all mods. After lots of experimenting, I now have envelope filter > fuzz > filter > mod > dirt. I like the mod/filter between the two dirts, really changes the flavor. Ideally i'd love to change the order on the fly, and someday i'll get an ES5 or something to do just that. Mod into dirt into filter into fuzz into chorus... etc :)

OldShark likes this.
  9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Yeah. There is that isn’t there. :laugh:

But it’s true. Each one differs in how it sounds - and especially in the way it responds. But most really good pedals each have their own special thing going. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise dirt pedals won’t be any different.

Besides…isn’t dirt where you’re gonna find a rabbit hole anyway? ;)

10. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I tend to like fuzz first. But I have owned a few that sound better after other dirt.

11. SunByrne

SunByrne trained monkey Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Agreed! That's why I suggested fuzz before compressor as a thing to try...

12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Generally speaking, I run lighter drives into more intense ones but some overdrives works better after some fuzz pedals. So experiment, which is fun!

13. Warlock_Surfer

Warlock_Surfer

Feb 29, 2020
    experiment and have fun. some days you'll have one lineup only to change it later. I would try
    Soul Preacher->Soul Food->Operation Overlord->Muff->Joyo
    probably could swamp the King of Kings with Operation Overlord if you want to boost your volume.

bholder likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022