Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Order of effects pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Dec 10, 2003.

1. In what order would you place these effects/pedals, and why?

Boss TU-2 tuner
    Reverend Drivetrain II (distortion/overdrive)
    Morley Pro Series II Bass Wah
    Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tuner, because it works best with a clean signal

Distortion, comes before modulation FX (e.g. chorus) because you want a distorted sound with a clean chorus, not a distorted chorus.

Wah comes after distortion, because this way the Wah is not affecting the level before distortion.

But, you can also use it before the disto for a "sweet spot"

Chorus, as a rule of thumb all modulation FX (phaser, flanger, chorus, reverb and delay) come last in the signal chain.

3. Okay, so basically the order in which I put them? Most excellent, and thanks so much for your explanations!:)

More comments are welcome.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Here is an interesting thing that happened to me. I had this setup: tuner->distortion->chorus. Sometimes when I muted the bass with the tuner pedal, I would get weird sounds come out. I now have the tuner at the end of the chain and switch off the chorus and distortion when tuning.

5. Thanks for the tip.

6. Interesting - I put my delay before the distortion, mostly so if I'm using both, I don't have layer after layer of distortion, which sounds muddy.

7. I should be have all my new pedals sometime this week. This should be fun.

8. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Just wanted to jump in for more info! So i also have my effects set from first to last Distortion, Auto-wah, Chorus.
    Where would a MXR octaver come in?

:oops:

9. Pre-distortion, I'd say - for the same reasons my delay is.

The ultimate answer, though, is try it wherever, and whichever sounds best, is.

:)

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    After compression but before anything else to minimise tracking problems.

Alex