Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Order of effects???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by odie, Oct 10, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ok Im starting to collect some pedals now. I often times use a driver or distortion mixed with a chorus of flange. Not sure of correct order.

I have a stereo flange, chorus, ODB3 distortion, envelope filter(might get rid of), SansAmp driver.

What would be the recommended order from bass to the amp.

Thanx in advance!!

2. There really is no "right" or "wrong" order of effects. Experimentation is usually how players get a certain sound!

But, I would reccomend

Envelope Filter
    Distortion
    Flange
    Chorus
    SansAmp for a little tone bump (to compinsate for tone lost in signal chain)

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Would that be Bass then Envelope Filter, Distortion, Flange,Chorus,Sansamp, bass rig??

4. Yeah. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Since the envelope filter works off of the intensity of the signal, it would be best if that went first.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would do as FF says, but I would put the Sansamp before the distortion, myself. I would also put the chorus and flange in the FX loop, if you can. To each their own, though.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I dont think I can put them thru the loop. They are just DOD, Boss pedals. Can these work in the loop. Its my understandingthey cant.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You can put them through the loop, no problem. You may have to adjust some of your input and output levels on your loop, if that's possible.

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I think they work the best in my signal chain.
    here is a pic, although there have been a few changes, I added a DD-6 delay and a Jim Dunlop
    Q Bass wah before the volume pedal.so it goes
    Line selector,distortion,flanger,chorus,phase shifter,delay,wah,volume.I found this works the best for me.
    [​IMG]