Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

order of effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LAKLAND011, Sep 4, 2002.

1. I just picked up a Maxon AF9 and really want to work out all of my effects in my signal chain to get the best desired performance.

The pedals are:

Maxon AF9 (auto filter) (i got it for $149.99 by the way)
    EBS Octabass (black series)
    Boss TU2 (tuner)
    SansAmp BDDI

I use an Acoustic Image Clarus head which has an effects loop but I'm not sure this is the proper route to hook up this stuff.

Thoughts? suggestions? considerations? Please help if you can.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Boss TU-2
    EBS Octabass
    Maxon AF9
    Sansamp BDDI

Put the tuner first so you can easily tune even if your effects are on. Octabass next because it is a signal source. Maxon next because it is a dynamic effect. The variable is the BDDI. If you are planning to use its overdrive feature, then it could go anywhere after the tuner. Put it after the Octabass if you want a clean sub mixed in with the overdriven signal, before if you want to distort the sub-synth too. Put it before the Filter is you want a filter sound with lots of distorted content, or after if you want a more subtle distortion in the filtered sound. If overdrive is not going to be a big part of the sound, then put it at the end of the chain because it will act as a line buffer which will give you better tone.

3. Thanks for the reply Lo-Z

I took your advice and set up my effects:

TU2
    Octabass
    Maxon AF9
    Sansamp BDDI

I've been working with these throughout today and find that it is, indeed, the best way. The Sansamp squashes the triggering effect with the distortion it creates. The only issue I have is that I like the SABDDI when I use no other effects. When I use other effects I don't care for the SABDDI. This really sucks because I need to be able to turn on (and off) effects with one step.

I wonder if an A/B box would work for this. That way, I could have effects already switched and then switch directly from the SABDDI (A) sound straight to my desired effect(B) that I could switch on beforehand.

Does anyone know if this would work? would the Morley A/B box work for this?

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Ahhh, the pedal dance!!!