Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Order of Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I have a bass overdrive, bass flanger, bass chorus, bassballs and a bass wah... could someone tell me the best order (or orders) that i should hook them up. thank you.

2. I think that wah's sound better before the distortion, but that's because the sweep isn't determined on how hard you play. I think the best order would be Wah> Distortion> BassBalls> Flanger (shorterdelay)> Chorus (longer delay).

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Just to add to that, wah's normally sound better before the preamp. modulation fx (chorus, flange etc) normally sound better after, so stick these ones in the fx loop if you've got one. Distortion can be used either before or after, but again, normally after the preamp, but before any other fx.

4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    thank you

5. Wah after distortion can sound very dramatic; don't write it off just yet? I use an EV pedal B4 AND after my main fuzz/OD for very different results.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Experiment a little bit. Try the wah out before and after the distortion, as I found it makes a huge difference in the sound.