1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Order of Envelop Filter and Octave Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Which one should go first? I guess "Filter --> Octave" makes sense.

2. whocaresnotme

whocaresnotme

Jun 21, 2009
    I own an EBS Octabass and their literature says it should run first in the chain.
    I run (in to out) Octabass/chorus/wah pedal/boost. Seems to work fine that way.

3. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I currently use my OC-2 in the loop of my 3-Leaf Groove Regulator and it sounds AMAZING! Back when I had a Enigma I ran it pre-filter and it sounded (and tracked) a LOT better!

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I would put the octave pedal before anything else that messes with the signal. You want the octaver to be receiving the strongest, cleanest signal possible for the best possible tracking.

-Dash

5. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    Thanks, guys. I'm trying to figure out where to put an MXR M82 in the sginal chain of a Line 6 M13.

I guess the following should work the best.

Bass-->Compressor-->Octave-->[M82 via effect loop]-->modulation-->delay/reverb

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I dunno, but maybe I'd put the compressor last (if I had one)... or at least after octave, dirt and filter.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    After much reading around and experimentation, I go...

BSW used only as Octaver >> M82 >> Multicomp >> VT Bass >> CEB-3

8. For me it depends on what sounds best. I have 2 envelope filters in an efx loop: a Q-Tron xo > OC-2 > various distortions> BassBalls nyc> UniBass. This gives me the best of both.

9. Octave is one of the very first things in the chain for me.

Winton likes this.
  10. octave IS the first thing in my chain.

Winton and TheDominoKid like this.
  11. khabalah

khabalah

Aug 3, 2010
    London
    yep, ive always gone octave first..

12. Exactly. It generates a new tone, so it's sort of like it is its own instrument.

My chain is more or less like this this: ---> EHX MicroSynth, EHX HOG, VOX Snake Charmer Compressor, EHX Q-Balls Enigma, EHX Bass Balls, tuner (so I can turn it on and mute everything out including any noise from the effects between sets or other times) --->

13. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider

I asked a similar question recently and was told that analog octaves WANT to be first in the chain 'cause they need the purest signal. The only thing that could go before would be a tuner (in my case, Boss TU-2). I don't know if the same thinking applies to digital octaves.

14. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I put the filter first because putting an octave signal through it makes it sound like crap and I like the sound of adding octaves to a quacky signal. IOW, that's what sounded good for me and so that's how I arranged them.

15. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I run my pitchfactor first in the chain. There's no correct way to do it and there are good and bad things either way. Try it both ways and see what you like.

16. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Knowing how touchy analog octave pedals can be (especially the OC2, which is what I use), I would put the octave before everything. The only thing I have before my OC2 is my tuner.

17. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    My Oc-2 is first as well.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021