Order of fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassesOfDeath, Sep 13, 2003.

1. BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    I was wondering how important it is to always pluck in order of your fingers (1,2,3,4)(4,3,2,1) or is it ok to play like a 3 note pattern (1,2,3) over and over?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'd say ideally it would be better to *not* get set in a specific pattern - practice everything starting on different fingers to develop all the fingers equally.

I tend to use my first two fingers most of the time, no preference to starting finger - and the third finger occasionally.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I usually use my fingers 1 and 2, being pointer and middle, but sometimes i use my ring (3). Im weird though,,,,,,,,,,, if im fretting , say, 6,7,8 , ill do 1-2-3, BUT if i do 6,8,7 ill do 1-3-2.
  4. I typically use 3-2-1 but I don't think it really matters too much. Depending on the line or phrase I'll play 2-1-2-1 or for some things I'll use all 4 fingers. Just do whatever's most comfortable and sounds best.
  5. Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    I usually use only two fingers and it makes no difference what I do on the neck my fingers allways do the same 1,2,1,2...and well...sometimes...1,2,3,1,2,3,and sometimes1,3,1,3!But that's just me.I think you shoulden't worry about a patern.....
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I remember a lil while back when i was playing Led Zep - Living Loving Maid, theres one part where you play 3,4,5 on A string, and i rmemember i had a little trouble going 1-2-1, i would go 1-2-3.
  7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    The Order Of Fingers... is this some sort of special gentlemens club with a secret handshake? Can I join?! :D