1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Order of fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassesOfDeath, Sep 13, 2003.

1. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    I was wondering how important it is to always pluck in order of your fingers (1,2,3,4)(4,3,2,1) or is it ok to play like a 3 note pattern (1,2,3) over and over?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'd say ideally it would be better to *not* get set in a specific pattern - practice everything starting on different fingers to develop all the fingers equally.

I tend to use my first two fingers most of the time, no preference to starting finger - and the third finger occasionally.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I usually use my fingers 1 and 2, being pointer and middle, but sometimes i use my ring (3). Im weird though,,,,,,,,,,, if im fretting , say, 6,7,8 , ill do 1-2-3, BUT if i do 6,8,7 ill do 1-3-2.

4. I typically use 3-2-1 but I don't think it really matters too much. Depending on the line or phrase I'll play 2-1-2-1 or for some things I'll use all 4 fingers. Just do whatever's most comfortable and sounds best.

5. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    I usually use only two fingers and it makes no difference what I do on the neck my fingers allways do the same 1,2,1,2...and well...sometimes...1,2,3,1,2,3,and sometimes1,3,1,3!But that's just me.I think you shoulden't worry about a patern.....

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I remember a lil while back when i was playing Led Zep - Living Loving Maid, theres one part where you play 3,4,5 on A string, and i rmemember i had a little trouble going 1-2-1, i would go 1-2-3.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    The Order Of Fingers... is this some sort of special gentlemens club with a secret handshake? Can I join?! :D